water softener repair

I've got a two year old GE Smartwater Softener that had been working fine in my old house. To transport the softener I removed the salt and remaining water. The person that was "helping" me took it upon himself, (thinking that the inner tank was full of water), to pull the head off and he begain to dump the contents realizing quickly that he was actually dumping the contaminant removing particles responsible for softening the water. Very few of the particles slipped out. Here's my problem and question; The softener is simply not working well since it's been installed over a week again. I've put in 60 pounds of salt. I've regenerated it manually several times. I'm getting little or no soft water. I still have the old softener inner tank and I'm wondering if I should take some of the granules from that tank and top off the present tank. If this is a good idea do I simply remove the head and pour them in or what? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
gilmoreguy

Why move a softener too a home that it may not support? Idle mechanics of the "head" can allow calcification (not in use for days). I mean ports plug up!

Search a little on the net.

-- Oren

Oren