Water Softener Drain in tight corner

Hi there ...

As if anything else could go wrong with my condo ...

Had an HVAC contractor out to look at my current furnace/AC -- some labels had fallen off the coil into the drain pan AND he found out they had not built a trap for the condensate drain line. He built a trap down by the drain ...

PROBLEM ...

I had the drain tubing from my water softener bungeed to that line. He moved them off to the side (which is actually the way the manual for the water softener shows it -- the drain tubes tied to a brick over the floor drain.

Only problem with the way he set it up was during the "rapid flush" phase my water softener would spray the base of my water heater.

I have subsequently moved the water softener drain tubing off of the condensate drain and onto the pressure relief line from the water heater which is just about dead center of the drain.

Problem -- I haven't had a chance to run it in this configuration but I know during those two flush cycles it will probably have enough pressure to splash all over the place.

Does anyone know of any more "permanent" ways to hook up these water softener drain lines?

When I first got there they actually had them UNDERNEATH the drain cover -- now I understand you're not supposed to do this because you need an air gap so that waste water can't siphon back into your potable water lines.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ax

Reply to
Axinar

Use an 90 degree connector on the end to point down. We do it all of the time with steam lines.

Reply to
SQLit

Is the drain big enough to handle the total amount of water the softener is delivering, or not? If it is, just increase the size of the

drainline from just before the last bend, and the pressure will drop off. If it's not, you'll need a buffering tank of some kind to take the flow, and then feed it out more slowly.

Reply to
default

Oh, yes ... the total capacity of the drain line is more than enough to handle the flow from the water softener ...

The problem is that during the "flush" cycles towards the end of the regen process the water is coming out with such pressure that it is "bouncing" off the drain cover and splattering the side of my water heater and a nearby wall and all kinds of stuff that really shouldn't be wet -- and particularly not wet with dissolved calcium chloride.

Thanks!

Ax

Reply to
Axinar