Water Softener cleaner?

Do water softeners need to be cleaned? When we first got ours we had a container of powder that was to be used every few months to clean the resin bed. Should I buy more? Is there a generic substitute? Is it even necessary? Thanks.

Reply to
Lee

"Lee" wrote

What did they tell you the cleaner was for? Why do you suppose they told you to use it? Why aren't you? If you have enough iron in your water, you may soon wish you had. What cleaner is it?

Gary Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

Seems to me that the cleaner came with or was purchased with the unit. We used it till it was gone and then forgot about it.

I supposed they told us to use it so they could sell us this product that we didn't need. The product was Sears brand water softener cleaner if I remember correctly.

So, if we have alot of iron then we would need the cleaner?

We don' t have much iron (less than 0.001 ppm)

Reply to
Lee

I don't know the answer but that raises a thought. Doe this actually have a tank that holds water? Here in Texas, and I'm sure many other places, you need to drain the hot water heater once or twice a year to clean out mineral deposts that can actually plug up faucet diffusers and shower heads. If the softener has a tank that stores water, perhaps it at least needs to be drained once in a while.

Reply to
MF

"Lee" wrote

It seems like it might be time to remember it but if you really have that little iron, there may be something else wrong with the softener. I don't recall if you said what it was doing or not doing.