Water pump keeps running...

Hi, My house water is from a shallow well with the pump located in my basement. It is a jet style pump with two lines running down into the well. Twice in the last few days, both times after doing laundry, I noticed that the pump was still running long after the washer had stopped. I ran the water and the pressure was good. The only way to make the pump stop is to flip the breaker off and turn it back on. The pump doesn't come back on until the next time there's a call for water. And then shuts off when the right pressure is reached. Is this a bad pressure switch? Where is all the water going while the thing is pumping, there are no leaks and the pressure tank must be full. I'm worried that I might flush the toilet, leave for work and the pump runs nonstop for 10 hours until I get home, possibly overheating and causing a fire.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Guay

What did the pressure guage say? Usually a shallow well pump will reach a certain point and stop building up pressure but it will still keep running if the switch is not satisfied.

Reply to
gfretwell

I had this same thing happen. There should be a one way valve near the pump (in the pipe going to the well). It's sticking.... Next time that happens, smack that valve with a hunk of 2x4 or other wood (not a metal hammer). The pump should stop in a minute or less. The water is going back to the well, that's where its' going.

Of course, you could also have a bad pressure switch. Remove it and be sure the 1/4" pipe is not clogged with rust. Clean it out and re-install and see ewhat happens, or just replace it since they are not too costly. If that one way valve is sticking, replace it.

If the pump runs all day, it will likely burn out the motor or may destroy the impeller, especially if its plastic. I doubt you would get a fire, but a burned out pump is not good.

If you are really worried, replace both the pressure switch and the one way valve.

Reply to
max