water pressure regulator question

I would fix your pressure regulator or replace it if necessary. It should hold static as well as dynamic pressure to its set point, and it is obviously not doing its job. I agree that 50 to 60 psi is better.

I don't know how to tell if the regulator can be repaired, but if you change it make sure to put unions on both sides so its future replacement is easier. The regulators I have seen include a union on one side, but plumbers seem to sweat the other side. I had a friend's regulator replaced recently, and I insisted that both sides be unions.

Reply to
Pico Rico

It does sound a bit high for static pressure. I've got to check with Mom, see if she cares one way or the other. She might just say to leave it the way it is, and walk away.

I like unions on both sides, when possible.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

At some point, the son needs to take a bit more charge of mom, to make sure things happen right. Not sure if this is the case, but as folks get older, kids need to be paying more attention. Responsible kids, anyway.

Reply to
Pico Rico

It doesn't matter if it takes .1 sec or an hour to get to 78PSI. If it's at 78 when it's supposed to be at 50, it's a bad regulator. You said fiddling with it you can get the pressure to 45, 50, 55 as long as a faucet is open. So it's responding and not totally stuck. That it rises with the faucet shut off to 78 means that the regulator doesn't fully seat, there is a small leak. Either that, or you have something else in the system, eg a pump that is raising the pressure on the house side. Only you know what you have.

Of course it's a sign of a bad regulator.

I suspect it is. And if the

Which likely has nothing to do with the problem.

That's up to you. If 78 was as high as the pressure ever gets, if it were my house, absent any problems, I wouldn't worry about it. Whether it gets higher at other times, who knows.

It might be that there is just some dirt lodged in there that's the problem. But once you have it apart, I'd do the rebuild kit, assuming it's available. At the least you'd need new gaskets, etc anyway.

Reply to
trader_4

Of course, you are correct. Mom's never been one for home repairs. Thank you, a lot, for your wisdom.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But in this case, mom is probably smarter, knows more about what's going on and more about pressure regulators than junior. Hopefully at least. She's probably still in charge of him.

Reply to
trader_4

I think I hear your mommy calling for you. She is rubbing her right index finger over her left index finger, pointed at you.

Reply to
Pico Rico

That does help answer the OP's OQ. Now that I've got more answer, I will take a couple next steps. Thank you for your kindness, and on point reply.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It seems to me that the regulator will only regulated the downstream pressure when there is flow. With zero flow the downstream pressure (of the regulator) can end up being the same as the upstream or inlet pressure. A little bit of leakage past the regulator, when there is zero flow can cause this to happen.--Only thinking out loud--- MLD

Reply to
MLD

So, it's possible the regulator is bad? I'd been thinking perhaps. Thank you for the on topic thought.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I worked for a company and looked after all kinds of regulators. If the regulator is working correctly it will not let any pressure past it higher than what it is set for . You should be able to turn off all the flow past the regulator and come back a month later and it should still have what it is set for on the outlet side. As long as the flow is less or equal to what the regulator is rated for the outlet pressure should stay the same from no flow to the rated flow of the regulator. If the outlet side of the regulator has more capacity than the regulator, the pressure will drop off during this time.

If the regulator is bad and the outlet is cut off then the inlet and outlet pressure can equalize after a period of time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Stormin:

You might have missed my post 2 or 3 pages of "banter" back.

You may very well be able to buy an overhaul kit for your pressure regulator. That will allow you to repair your regulator without having to replace it.

If turning the adjusting screw on the regulator has no effect on the downstream pressure (it still keeps rising to 78 psi regardless of the adjusting screw position) then, yes, your pressure regulator is leaking and needs to be fixed or replaced.

But, I don't think leaving the water pressure at 78 psi would actually do any harm to the plumbing in your Mom's house. But, even so, this really should be fixed.

Reply to
nestork

What's wrong with you? Haven't you paid attention? Stormin says he only asked one specific question:

"I wasn't asking for specific advice. I was asking if that pressure seemed a bit high."

So, any and all talk about pressure regulators is off topic bloviating. The only acceptable answer apparently is yes or no.

Reply to
trader_4

What's wrong with you? Haven't you paid attention? Stormin says he only asked one specific question:

"I wasn't asking for specific advice. I was asking if that pressure seemed a bit high."

So, any and all talk about pressure regulators is off topic bloviating. The only acceptable answer apparently is yes or no.

Reply to
trader_4

Some good videos and explanations here... Search: pressure regulator how it works.

Reply to
Guv Bob

My next step is to call Mom, and ask if she's concerned. I know of one faucet in the house I can likely leave it dribble, and it won't be noticed too much. The water use will go up, but to save a toilet valve. Even a slow dribble stabilizes the pressure.

While there, I'll try and find a model number, see how it's connected, etc.

Thanks for the reminder, to check on rebuild kits.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, There was a report out a few years ago written by CMHC(Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation) about the effect of duct cleaning. Conclusion, "not that effective, save your money". I always lived in a house built per our specs. Never lived in old house. Always forced air heating/cooling system with 16x25x5 Merv 10 or better filter/or Honeywell electronic filter. Never had dust issue(s) in the house even with cat and dog. My son was born with serious asthma, until he reached pre-teen he carried two different puffers all the time. But since Jr. high he did not need them. He started playing Tenor Sax in the band for 6 years and now at age 30, still does in addition to guitar and drum playing. Good diet, natural supplement, excercise got rid of that asthma for good. We conquered asthma in my house.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Computers, got to love em. Friend, your computer put this (very thoughtful) text about duct cleaning on to the bottom of a water pressure regulator post.

Perhaps copy this into a duct cleaning post, so the fellow with the relative with mild asthma can read it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:59:51 -0600, Tony Hwang wrote in

That's the wat to do it. Good nutrition, healthy life-style.

Reply to
CRNG

Why are you so obsessed with water pressure? 78 is on the high side, but it's not abnormal or dangerous. Most of the houses in your neighborhood probably don't even have a pressure regulator, so they are likely at 78 too. Are they experiencing blowouts? Any geisers lately? There are a lot of folks that are in homes where they wish they had 78psi.

Reply to
trader_4