Water heater question... hook up in series?

The "questioning OP" is rather creative way of leading one into an ad for his products, eh?

Worth a look at his website even if just for fun, the "electric hot water faucet" was new to me. I've had an "Instanthot" under my kitchen sink for years, but the faucet he sells is different from that.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yes, it will be making up the standby losses, but if you put it first, it doesn't stop losing heat, does it? It stll has the same loss plus it now has to heat the incoming cold water, which could be 40 deg in winter, and bring it up to full temp.

His idea of a second water heaer in series AFTER the existing gas is not bad. If I could, I'd probably set it up so the electric after the gas only served the bath with the whirlpool tub. Most new houses with these around here have two water heaters for exactly that reason. Whether to go with a gas vs electric for the second one depends on energy costs vs install costs/headaches.

But best idea of all may be to go with a new single 75 gal. I think he said existing was about 8 years old, so it's proably 2/3 the way thru it's typical life. Or for applications like this, tankless could be a good option.

Reply to
trader4