Two zone HVAC advice

I have a 2 zone HVAC system in my home. We primarily stay in Zone 1 (downstairs) and marginally use Zone 2,(upstairs, office and spare bedrooms). Is it beneficial to have zone 2 AC on, say set to 80 to help keep the entire house cool during these hot winter months? There are also attic fans installed. This is my first experience with 2 zone HVAC. Any comments would be greatly appreciated Thanks, Ed

Reply to
Ed B

Hot winter months?

Reply to
<kjpro

Yep!

Forgetting what I suppose is a typo, you set the temperature for the zone in which you actually ARE to whatever suits you. For the rest of the house you set it at the money saving extreme range of comfort depending upon season (e.g.; 60F in Winter, 80F in Summer). Except for extreme days, the second zone system will be off most of the time. Effectively your primary zone system will run nearly 100% as it tries to cool or heat the entire house to the set point but only succeeds in one area.

In you run air conditioning, you don&#39;t want to use a "whole house" attic fan.

If your "attic fan" just keeps the un-conditioned space below for roof from getting much hotter than outside ambient, than have it controlled by a thermostat.

Reply to
John Gilmer

John, Yes, it was a typo, thank you for the forgiveness. Your comments confirm what I have thought to be logical. Thank you Ed

Reply to
Ed B