HVAC Zone Controls

Hi,

We have a three zone Hydro / Hot air HVAC system for heating.

Zone 1: Garage Zone 2: Downstairs Zone 3: Upstairs

The control system pumps hot water to three seperate Air Handlers that then supply hot air for heating.

After a power outtage, when the system came back on. All the hot water went to Zone one the garage circuit. After the garage was warmed up, then the rest of the house was supplied.

Is it usual for such a HVAC system to only supply one Zone at a time with hot water because of the amount of hot water required?

If so would turning off the Garage circuit, by setting the Thermostat to OFF, make the other hot water circuits become active?

I was sort of cold, while my cars were getting toasty. Sort of silly really. Just wondering how I could avoid this ....

Best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

No. It should be able to run each independent of others. The pwer failure may have tripped something or a su rge whent he power came back on may have caused damage. I'd do some experimenting to see if each will work on its own by turning the garage off and tu rnign each of hte oth ers way up to see if they come one. If not, you need repairs.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What you will probably find is that there is a control panel mounted on or near the boiler. It probably says Taco and is green, or Argo and is black. This encloses the relays that control the circulators for each zone. These units are designed to use a "priority" relay for a domestic hot water indirect tank. It's purpose is to kill all other zones until the hot water maker is satisfied. My guess is that your garage is connected to this "priority zone". If so, open the control box and find the priority switch and turn it to off, it will be clearly marked

Reply to
RBM

Hi RBM,

Yes I think you ar right. It is a green box and it says TACO SR 504, which is the controller. One more question if I may. If I went into the garage and turned the thermostat setting to off (as opposed to COOL-OFF-HEAT I have three settings). Would that mean the garage would no longer call for heat. Therefore the priority would then switch to one of the other heating zone circuits? Hence I could be toasty and the cars would remain cold ... which is good :).

Best, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes

Turning the garage thermostat off or down, drops out it's relay and allows all the other zones to function

[...]

Mike, zone 4 of that controller is the priority zone, which is connected to your garage zone. If you have an indirect water heater being controlled by the 504, it should be connected to this zone. In any event, I would turn off the priority switch, which you'll find inside the control on the upper right side. This way any zone that calls for heat gets it...equally

Reply to
RBM

Thanks RBM. Your kind help is much appreciated. warmest regards, Mike.

Reply to
hobbes