Water Heater Pilot Will Not Stay Lit when I switch from PILOT to ON.

BTW one more note. This thread seems to have attracted more than the usual troll types. Ignoring the insults. Sometimes there is some good information in their post, but consider the source.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

THE PILOT LIGHT IS ON ONLY WHILE I HOLD THE BUTTON. I HOLD THE BUTTON FOR UP TO 4 MIN and still it goes out when I let go the button, before I can even turn it to on. Sorry for the confusion. BM 2006-03-26

Did you try a BRAND NEW THERMOCOUPLE? Someone mentioned one from a old tank:(

Eith the thermocouple is bad, the pilot flame too small, or the gas valve thermostat assembly is bad.

They can be removed but are destroyed in the process, since they have to be held by the outside of the thermostat body. easy to crush damage or cause gas leak. they rust in place so are hard to unscrew.

if its not the thermocouple and the pilot is strong just replace the tank because any futher troubleshooting will find the parts cost too much

Reply to
hallerb

Replace the water heater and do it quickly. Your old one may blow up with a bad thermocouple. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

..

Someday someone is actually going to believe your jokes.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

There was nothing whatsoever harsh about my words, they were just the simple facts. I can't help it if you don't know jack about what you're working on.

Richard Perry

Reply to
RP

They have many times before. But you know........sometimes you just cant help on ones like this. The OP claims to be great at installing a water heater but cant figure out how to make a pilot stay lit. His fix is to install an 8 yr old thermocouple and then try to turn the know to "ON" real fast. Now I know it take years and years and years to be proficent on water heater repair but when I last read the "How to be King of water heaters" book, those silly heaters still only had two parts of any real serviceability.

1 - A thermocouple 2 - A gas valve. Gee, I wonder what his problem is? Lack of operating brain cells? Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

That narrows it down to teh thermocouple, teh thermocouple connection connection at the gas valve, and the control magnet assembly, which is buried dep inside the gas valve.

Thermocouples are cheap. Just replace the thermocouple.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Joseph Meehan,

Thanks for the advice and assistance in trouble shooting this problem. I finally removed the gas valve from my old discarded WH and put it on the one I was trying to repair. Problem solved. I can't believe it just broke like it did. Again, thank you and the others who tried/ and did help me

BM

Reply to
Brett Miller

Brett Miller wrote: .. Problem solved.