Water heater leaks

My water heater drips water in my garage from what looks like some kind of overflow system made of PVC pipe. It did not always do this and I was wondering should I be concerned?

Reply to
Savoire_Faire

The "overflow" is most likely the pressure/temperature relief valve outlet. They can drip constantly if the valve doesn't seat tightly.

*Sometimes* the drip can be cured by popping the valve open briefly. Otherwise, replace the valve.

But, it can also drip (usually intermittently) if tank pressure exceeds the valve rating (125 or 150 PSI). Less likely, if water temperature is scalding hot.

You need more info (pressure reading) before deciding what to do. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Which, in turn, is more likely if you have a bladderless expansion tank with all the air dissolved out of it, or no expansion tank at all. If you push the air-fill valve-stem down on the expansion tank (with a screwdriver, so you don't boil your fingers) does water come out of it?

Reply to
default

I wouldn't take any chance and replace it to avoid any bad situation

I had the same problem with mine a couple of years ago and got home one day with all the mess around. The tank was just to rusted.

Is it older than 8 years? If yes, I would definetly change it for a new one.

Good luck to you

Steve Simard

in article kNiPb.76196$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, Savoire_Faire at bob snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 1/20/04 6:25 PM:

Reply to