washing machine trips breaker

In the past 6 months or so my washing machine will fill up with water and as soon as it starts the wash cycle/agitate, the breaker trips and it takes about 10 minutes of flipping on and off to get it to start working again. It doesn't happen every time I wash clothes but usually about once every 3-4 cycles. It only started after the dogears (?) were replaced. I know some of you must know what may be the cause of this. Thanks

Reply to
Fire & Ice

Hi, Motor is overloinged or going bad. It has built in thermal breaker. Until it cools off and resets, you can flip the breaker on/off which won't do anything.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Maybe this is my chance to get my new washer/dryer. =)

Reply to
Fire & Ice

Have you considered a new motor? Why throw away the patient, when a smiple tansplant will do?

Rich

Reply to
RichK

You could try to find out why the motor is straining to turn the drum. Maybe it will turn out to be lint in the bearings and all you need to do is clean them. Or maybe something is rubbing on the drum (like the sock monster).

Reply to
Stubby

There are two dog related parts that I can think of. Agitator dogs are little cams that give ratchetiing action to the agitator auger. Or, a wig-wag, so called because it moves back and forth, is an electro-magnet that operates spin and agitation action in older belt drive models. I can't imagine that either would cause your breaker to flip. You could have a breaker problem. Have you considered that?

Reply to
nospamtodd

might be a breaker going bad, they are designed to becvome more sensitive as they age. its better to trip for no reason than never trip under a short.

if you have a heavy extension try plugging it in to a different breaker or if your knowledgable swap breakers of the same size in the panel. or just install a new one

washers are high current users, thats the most likely to stress and effectively wear out a breaker

Reply to
hallerb

This is an older house. Not sure exactly how old though, since we are renting. When the problem first started I did think that maybe it was a breaker. I also noticed this evening when it happened again, whenever I flipped the breaker back to turn it on, there were sparks in the breaker box. Don't feel too secure with that going on. Not sure if it has happened before since I never really looked when flipping the switch. When my husband comes home next weekend he will check them out.

Thanks for all the advice and responses.

Reply to
Fire & Ice

This is good. This means you should be able to put on a sound and light show for your kids and their friends.

If not that, at least you've found one problem, maybe the only problem.

You can go to the laundramat and see how the other half lives.

Reply to
mm