It's only one model, etc. But it's an idea to file away.
In 1994, when I moved into this trailer, the folks moving out left me a
Whirlpool LXA5300W1 washing machine. Top loader, mechanical timer, and
fairly plain looking machine.
I met the woman once, and she said the washer needed a $65 part, so they
were leaving it. However, they were taking the dryer cause it still worked.
After some trouble shooting, I found the motor was siezed up. So, I took the
motor out, and wrenched on the pulley with a Channelocks. Got the motor
shaft to turn, and pumped in some two cycle oil to lube the berrings.
Machine worked nicely for about 7 or 8 years, and then had to oil the motor
The latest was the timer. It jammed in fill, between wash and rinse. I came
home one day after church and found it had been running fill water for the
last four hours or so. Fortunately, down the drain not onto the floor.
It did it again a couple days ago.
I called the parts house, and found out it takes a 365002 timer. Which was
NLA, No Longer Available. But, when it was avail, it cost $95 or so.
A quick Google search found a couple such timers. One was about $125,
through a historic parts house. Another was about $77 through Ebay.
It did occur to me that maybe I could oil the motor. Worked on the main
motor. I took the assembly apart, that holds the timer. The motor was held
on to the back of the timer switch with a couple little screws. They were
between the two sizes I had in my socket wrench set. Larger than 5/64, and
smaller than 3/32. But a very tiny crescent wrench did the job.
When I got the motor off, it looked as though the gear pack in the timer was
coated in smokers film. It occured to me that perhaps it was dried oil or
grease. I blasted as best I could with aerosol parts cleaner (trichlor) and
let that dry a bit. And then a blast of penetrating oil.
Put it all back together, and, uh, give it a whirl. Sorry. Seems to work
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Click to see the full signature.