Washing Machine Recommendations

I promised the wife a new washing mchine. She is thinking of a steam and/or sanitizing model. She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; also what makes to totally avoid. All your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks John

Reply to
John

nd/or sanitizing model. =A0She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I gu= ess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I= 'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Cons= idering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of c= ourse interested in repair issues and known problems; =A0also what makes to= totally avoid. =A0All your input would be very much appreciated. =A0Thanks= John

I just finished shopping for washer/dryer, and I will be very surprised if you find a steam model for

Reply to
Jo Ann

and/or sanitizing model. =A0She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I = guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption.= I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Co= nsidering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of= course interested in repair issues and known problems; =A0also what makes = to totally avoid. =A0All your input would be very much appreciated. =A0Than= ks John

I've a maytag. 3 kids and 17 years later I've had no issues / no repairs. It owes me nothing.

Reply to
jim

and/or sanitizing model. ?She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems; ?also what makes to totally avoid. ?All your input would be very much appreciated. ?Thanks John

I just chucked a 30 year old Kenmore Heavy Duty washer. Still have the matching dryer. The transmission started leaking but was otherwise working. I bought the washer used in 1990 for $75 bucks. Found the matching dryer a month later at a yard sale for $50 bucks.

I bought a front loading Kenmore He that looks like a top loader with the control panel on the back instead of the front. So far after a year it performs flawlessly and uses a lot less soap and water but cleans the clothes better than the old toploader.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

nd/or sanitizing model. =A0She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I gu= ess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I= 'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Cons= idering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of c= ourse interested in repair issues and known problems; =A0also what makes to= totally avoid. =A0All your input would be very much appreciated. =A0Thanks= John

Be sure to get one in stainless steel with matching dryer. With a front loader you could even put a small granite counter top on the pair. How stylish! Your neighbors will be so envious. Of course you know your $900 budget only covers the down payment, right? Do what's right and spend every penny you can. Your help for the economy will be significant.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I will never go back to a top loader! They take way too long and way too much water. They do not get the close as clean either.

I don't like on my GE where I have to add water with the fabric softener though.

Reply to
Dymphna

sanitizing model.  She also wants large capacity (over 4.0 cft I guess) and I would like it to be high effeciency and low water consumption. I'd like to spend under $900 but....................................... Considering all the choices available I am looking for recommendations and of course interested in repair issues and known problems;  also what makes to totally avoid.  All your input would be very much appreciated.  Thanks John

If you really want to save money, recycle, and protect the environment, buy a used washer. I bought a washer for $50, then sold it for $50 when I moved after 8 years of use. You gotta do what you gotta do when money is not there. Wouldn't think steaming clothes would make much of a difference, else we would see more of this feature. Steam is great for pressing clothes, uses a lot of energy though.

Reply to
Phisherman