washer frozen

It's an urban myth that hot water will freeze faster than cold water. Supposedly if you take a cup of hot water and a cup of cold water and place them in a freezer, the hot water will freeze faster. But it's not true. The amount of water that is lost from evaporation doesn't make enough difference. The cold water freezes first.

In a plumbing system, either pipe could freeze first depending on when it was last run, differences in exposure, etc.

Reply to
trader4

Hi, Wonder where you live?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Moundsville WV, just south of Wheeling, If you were talking to me, I did not quite understand. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
ant30dio

The description I read was most likely pointed to from here, or maybe was on a physics newsgroup, and was about inside a pipe, so evaporation was not a factor.

It was probably years ago when I had a different hard drive, so I won't be able to find it in my computer. It had something to do with something that changed when the water was heated, that made it easier for it to freeze later. I haven't foundd reference to that in the posts below, but I have barely read them.

Here are some webpages on the subject

dope says no but then says yes under some conditions, and then relies on evaportation to explain those cases.

I have barely read these pages yet, but I googled on hot water freezes faster than cold if you wnat to look for more. I'll read them tonight but I wanted to post befroe this thread rolls off the top of the screen and falls behind the desk.

Reply to
mm

No need to answer, because the answer is none. Unlike your prior prediction that there would be piles of them in the trash after the switchover.

Reply to
Ron

Actually, absolutely not true. You need to cool the water first before it can freeze. The "half truth" is based on the fact that water looses more heat , faster, when it is hot than when it is cold - but the hot water still takes longer to reach freezing than the cold water does. Simple Physics

You poor suckers that are not used to the cold, and are not prepared for it, with houses not built to handle it, are sure having a time of it. Up here it's been about -5F just about every night the last week.

Put the bulb inside the CASE of the washer, not the drum If the water is flowing it has to be pretty darn cold to freeze. When water mains are being repaired and surface piping is used up here in the cold, a tap is left running to keep the water flowing and the pipes don't freeze unless it's down close to zero. If the water is turned off, the pipes freeze in a jiffy.

Ice in the pump can split the pump quite easily. Often as it thaws. Minimum density of water is at +4C - so that's where it takes up the most space. If both ends are plugged with ice and the middle thaws, it CAN split things that survived the freezing without damage.

Put heat in the garage.

Reply to
clare

No, it isn't. You're not a psychic any more than you were a prophet.

What is your problem? I don't think you've posted here at all today except to argue with me. Did I once insult you yourself, or do you see yourself as a defender of the oppressed. FWIW, Tony doesn't seem to be mad at me, only you in this thread.

Reply to
mm

I don't need to be a "prophet" to know that THIS didn't happen as YOU claimed it would.

You also admitted in this very group that you didn't find any. Do I need to dig that up for you too?

Yeah, you once stuck your nose into an argument between me and an asshole troll. It had NOTHING to do with you, but for some reason you felt like playing net cop, telling what language was and wasn't acceptable here.

Reply to
Ron

I thought I had already posted back about this, to keep the record straight. And that proves I would have answered you if you hadn't insulted me in this thread.

So why did you bother asking me? If I admitted I had been wrong, what is wrong with you that you're still carping on this?

But if the answer was none before it isn't none anymore. It has changed since I last posted. I've found two tv's since then, and have seen multiple offers of tvs in the freecycle around here. I would have found more TVs if they hadn't made putting them out for the trash illegal months ago, (but some time after the digital transition).

This is a newsgroup. Everyone reads and everyone can post. Get over it.

Oh, you were using foul language? Not surprising. You used some vulgar word in your first post here. Have you noticed that almost no one else in this ng does?

About that earlier thread, if you use foul language and the other guy doesn't, even if you're right and he's wrong, a lot of people will think you're wrong. That's the lesson you should have learned. Instead of nursing a grudge for months or years.

Reply to
mm

LOL! You aren't my dad, and you aren't the mod of this group, and you are waaaaaaaaaaaay too uptight.

If you think "d*****ad" is vulgar, then maybe Usenet isn't the place for you, pops.

Now, go dig some more TVs out of the dumpster.

Reply to
Ron

Lived at Tahoe ... used a lightbulb on a cord that we plugged in ... don’t know wattage but Our washer never froze Even in very cold weather

Reply to
catherineewalters