Want to put faux rock on retaining wall

I have a retaining wall outside that I've been modifying lately, it's about 50' long and 3' high. Currently it's constructed out of just old pressure treated 2x12. I would like to build a faux rock wall. I think that would look much better. My questions are, is faux rock the correct term? Second, what do I use for backing? Can I mortar the rock to the pressure treated wood then grout? Any good websites where I can find more info? I Googled faux rock, but didn't come up with too much.

Reply to
smith_bp101

It wont last

Reply to
ransley

What will last?

Reply to
smith_bp101

What will last?

Reply to
charlie

Is the fake rock a 100% cement-natural mixture, any plastics in it will possibly be an issue since concrete breathes and you have moisture comming from behind with the wood, freeze thaw issues arise. Wood as a back is not stable and will rot, in the first winter pieces will fail if you go below maybe 25f. Maybe on hardiboard, concrete block as a base if its natural fake stone, im just guessing here talk to some local pros and supliers.

Reply to
ransley

Over wood? Nothing. If you simply MUST do it, go for the plastic faux rock, mortared to chicken wire on 1/2 standoffs on the wood, with weep holes on the bottom. Another idea- if you could live with a fake cut stone look, they do sell a product that hangs from nails or rails, looks like brick, but doesn't trap water against the substrate. Designed for people that want to brick their houses, but don't have a foundation ledge. Can't remember the name, but somebody here will jump in with it shortly.

Personally, I'd just live with it for the five years till the wood rots, and save up to have it redone in stone at that point. Probably be cheaper.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

What will last is a separate stone wall not with mortar but stacked, retaining walls move and breath.

Reply to
ransley

Hi guys and thanks for the replies. Thinking about it, duh, for me. I can't mortar rock onto wood...I should have known that...I just tiled my whole bathroom. If I use cement board, should I trowel on Redguard first? Also, once everything is done and grouted should I seal it?

I don't want to make too big of a project out of this. Next in line would be to just put up composite wood.

Reply to
smith_bp101

wood retaining walls MOVE, whatever you install will crack.

your far better off regrading the yard and removing the wall.

zero future maintence.

retaing walls dont last if not properly installed. footer below frost line,, lots of drainage and a stable are to start with.,

Reply to
hallerb

First what you have is a fence not a true retaining wall, so you are trying to face a fence with synthetic rock. I may last a couple years but eventually the wood will flex/swell/shrink/bow/cup/pushout and if the rock doesn't fall off the morter will crack out. I cant think of anything good coming out of what you want here nor a "good" way to do it, anything you do here is a compromise.

Reply to
RickH