Retaining wall + fence recommendation

I am looking at putting up a fence, extending existing that ends flush with house to extend out several feet plut at angle (around electrical and mail box) then to run along side of house giving 6-8 feet space along side and total stretch of 60 feet. House is on corner lot (small lot!!).

My original idea of installing myself seems to have gone by wayside as project has taken on life of its own. Before putting fence in, need to build up ground with 2' tall retaining wall for majority of stretch (60 feet).

Quotes given to me by contractors ranged from 2100 to 2600 (ProGrass was at $5400 ouch) for a ManorStone (MutualMaterials) retaining wall and wooden fence. After selecting one contractor, as I have made inqueries about small changes, such as wanting 6' fence for 15 foot stretch, then rest 5', the cost for materials keeps edging up.

QUESTION: To help keep cost down, should I consider pressure treated wood as a form of retaining wall instead of the ManorStone? It would definately give me more yard room as ManorStone is 12" deep + extra setback needed for posts. With my back, digging and lifting are not what I dream of (more like nightmares), so was also reason of selecting contractor.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Clayton.

Reply to
Dooler

Pressure treated wood won't last that long in a retaining wall. I would consider PaveStone as well, it is a nice interlocking wall stone.

- Tim

Reply to
Tim