retaining wall + fence

I am looking for ideas for a retaining wall. It has to be around 1.25mtr high and about 20mtr long which I spose is simple enough but I need to put a

5' fence up too. Ideally I would like to put the fence on top of the wall but I could make do with the fence being slightly back from the wall. I have included a crude diagram below. I was thinking about those interlocking blocks but it seems that they are for smaller walls mostly and I dont think they would support the fence properly. maybe gabions?

| | fence | | --|\ | \ soil | \ retaining wall | \_______

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

There is quite a bit about retaining walls at the paving expert site.

Reply to
Rod

Do your homework on this wall - that's quite a reasonable height and will need a bit a knowledge as to the quality of the founds, width of the base, etc. You will also have to bear in mind that drainage is necessary - build up of water behind the wall will add a lot of pressure and bring it down. Also is it straight or curved - how long is it and should it have buttresses ?

I went through all of this with a similar wall 10 years ago and found the info OK then - don't have it now, but the must be plenty of it on the web now.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I built a retaining wall out of 10" sleepers (on their sides rather than flat ) recently with 4" fenceposts in front supporting and fence resting on sleepers it worked well would recomend ground anchors as well in your case. Martin

Reply to
Housemartin

I built a retaining wall out of 10" sleepers (on their sides rather than flat ) recently with 4" fenceposts in front supporting and fence resting on sleepers it worked well would recomend ground anchors as well in your case. Martin

------------------------------------ Thanks for the help everyone. I am thinking of doing it in concrete now and making it look better with a crazy paving design or something which, if i do it right will not look out of place with existing wall. Ideally I would like to DIY it as the last time I got some builders in they ripped me off big time and stole some stuff to boot. it has made me wary.

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela