Why Insulation in Inside Wall?

I'm about to hang one of the LED big screen TVs on my wall. To tidy it up I decided to run the cables through the wall. When I cut a hole in the wall I discovered it was filled with insulation. It's an inside wall. The master bath is on the other side of the wall. Why is an inside wall insulated?

Reply to
jim evans

Minimal amount of noise reduction

--

Reply to
dpb

probably for noise reduction

Reply to
RBM

Any ideas how to get the insulation out without removing the sheetrock?

Reply to
jim evans

just use a fish tape to pull the wires through.

Reply to
Pete C.

Use the fishsnake several times with a hook on it, that will clear out most of the insulation.

Reply to
Mikepier

Most likely it is for noise reduction.

Reply to
Phisherman

Because it would look silly stapled to the outside?

Reply to
HeyBub

Sound, some, but also to keep the bathroom warm and cozy while you are drying off, and to reduce the condensation you would otherwise get on cool walls while the exhaust fan plays catch-up. Just like kids steaming up car windows on a crisp fall evening, when you take a hot shower on a cool morning, you can have condensation running down the walls. (a big promoter of mold...)

Like the others said, no need to remove the insulation, just feed the wires, or maybe a smurf tube, through there with a snake.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

This is what you need, but for $125 for what's likely a one-use project it's too expensive. But for those of us who run wires in walls at work, it's great!

The roller is a magnet, and you attach some metal thing to a beaded chain & drop it in the hole, pulling it down with the magnet rolling along the outside of the wall.

Bob M.

whoops, just the opposite. The magnet is inside the wall, the roller thing is normal steel.

Reply to
Bob M.

jim evans wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

As mentioned repeatedly, noise reduction.

Can't remember the source so I don't know how effective but I read/heard something a couple of decades ago that like where you have a drain pipe coming through an interior wall from upper floor, putting empty egg cartons all around it before closing kills the noise. The material + the shape of the egg slots was they key.

Insulation probably works just as well and probably better.

Reply to
Red Green

DON'T. Use a fish tape to pull the wire in. The fish tape can be run up between the insulation and the drywall.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

I hung drywall in about 25-30 new homes last year. All of them had insulation in the inside walls in the bathrooms and the laundry rooms. Noise reduction.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Noise reduction.

My previous home had insulation in every interior wall and was MUCH quieter than my current home with no interior wall insulation.

Reply to
Ron

Why remove the insulation?

Reply to
Ron

A lot of noise reduction.

Reply to
Ron

Noise reduction.

If you have any pipes in that wall, be thankful the builder put the insulation there otherwise everytime someone flushed or ran the water you'd hear it loudly in the adjoining room.

Reply to
sanity

Not really only from fiberglass insulation unless also did something about separating studs, etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

I'm a little uncertain about that. I tried to push a flat plumbers snake (which I've used to fish wires before) up the wall and couldn't get it to go. It was like pushing into a pillow. And there's a fairly large bundle of cables that have to go through the wall. Here's a photo of about 2/3rds the bundle that has to be pushed through this mush --

jim evans