Walmart, and the identical box trick

It's not--that "radiated" water is just nasty... :)

The joke aside, years ago Sir R A Fisher, the noted statistician while visiting during tea, a women there exclaimed that the cream must be in the cup before the tea was poured. Fisher, being the scientific sort, devised a blind taste test on the spot and indeed, she did pick out the offending cups...

"Never say never..." :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Yep.

There are only TWO companies in the US that manufacture the raw ingredient in aspirin and only ONE that does so for multi-vitamins.

Reply to
HeyBub

The gradual contamination of the water with Chinese mystery teapot coating also adds a certain something. "Oh Madge - this tea is simply divine. Where

*do* you get your cadmium?"
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

From dim memory, I seem to recall Kodak being one of them. But, I did say "dim".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Huh? Is there a non-generic carrot? I mean, I guess there COULD be a branded pumpkin, but...

Reply to
HeyBub

Why should you suppose that a teapot will be made in China? From the context above, I believe we're discussing a vessel made to heat water on the stove (which I usually call a teakettle) rather than a ceramic vessel made to steep tea. My teakettle is quite old, stainless steel, and Made in America. Perhaps the mother-in-law's is similar.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

"dpb" wrote

I agree with the mil. Buried in this article there are a few words that tell you she and I are not alone.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I "supposed" because when I went shopping for one 5 years ago, every single one of them (at 6 different stores) was made in China, and had an internal coating which everyone knows will deteriorate quickly.

I was looking for a stainless teapot to replace the one that my ex retained after our divorce. I had to order one (nice Farberware model) via the web.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What supermarket chains do you patronize? I'm asking because in SOME instances, you can't make a blanket statement about generic brands any more. For instance, we have Wegman's here, and their store brand canned goods are about as spotty as any other store's. But, they have quite a few products that are remarkable - better than the name brands, in some cases.

Some private label manufacturers will follow whatever recipe is called for by the supermarket chain whose name will go on the product. If the chain wants to create a cheap, lame product, that's what they'll get. Not all chains go this route, though.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

instead

That's not the situation.

Reply to
salty

That article also claims that the digital display of a microwave oven consumes 80% of all power used by the unit. That's just plain comedy!

Reply to
salty

There was one of those no-name gas stations on the highway where I used to work. The tankers that refueled the station were branded Humble (now Exxon), Mobil, and other name brands.

Reply to
willshak

wrote

Got me, perhaps because the microwave just sits there probably

95 percent of the time, if not more. I'm certainly not arguing the point at all.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I have an LCD travel clock with a display about the same size as the one on my microwave. It runs for several years on 2 AA size batteries.

Reply to
salty

You can get a new wife via the web? Well, why not?

Reply to
HeyBub

I suspect only 1 or 2 levels of difficulty/work above getting a good quality real stainless steel teakettle nowadays! (Though I suspect there are a few retail outlets that have the darn things - Big Bucks real stainless steel teakettles that is rather than brides!)

Don Klipstein

That is indeed possible if the microwave oven is plugged in all the time and only used a few minutes per week!

Though when it is cooking at full power, I expect less than 1% of the power consumption is going to the display and the control electronics and the low-voltage-output power supply that powers those.

Don Klipstein

I suspect it has higher efficiency technology due to requirement to run a long time on batteries. The display elements could be based on LED chips of a higher efficiency type, maybe "low current red" or something else highly efficient that became commonly available around or after 1986 such as GaAlAsP or InGaAlP. This is as opposed to what I consider the usual microwave digital displays from the late 1980's, which I have seen to often to be aqua-colored, and those were vacuum tube fluorescent digital displays, which required multiple voltages and cathode heating! LEDs of similar color and high efficiency first gained commercial practicality in the mid-late 1990's, and then generally only for applications with low LED chip count!

Don Klipstein

6.75 ounces vs. 12 ounces is a big difference! If I was going to eat frozen "pizza", and I have done that enough times (thankfully I ride bicycles a lot!), I don't want to get only 6.75 ounces for a price that is merely lowish for 12 ounces!

- Don Klipstein (Jr), snipped-for-privacy@misty.com

Reply to
Don Klipstein