Walmart, and the identical box trick

I'd posted, that Walmart's Red Baron pizzas are 6.75 ounces for two, instead of 12 ounces. Went back to the same Wal, and they have "deep dish" frozen pizzas, which are 12 ounces for the two of them. Wish they would make the boxes a bit different.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon (on backup com

"Stormin Mormon (on backup computer)" wrote in message news:470d102a$0$11052$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com...

I wonder if Red Baron might like to hear your suggestion. I see that their web site has an easy way to contact them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

They did make the boxes a bit diffferent. One box says Deep Dish and

12 oz on the box, the other says something else and 6.75 oz on the box.

What are you looking for...a different color/size/font/shape for each different product? Ever hear of Brand Recognition? I'll bet they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to try and get their packaging to be be recognizbale as their own. They can't have vastly different packages for every individual product.

Hate to say it, but you're going to have to read the boxes more carefully from now on.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

BJ's wholesale club often sold house brands of foodstuffs that were packaged almost identical to name brands and placed them side by side on the shelf. I thought that was very deceptive and I let them know it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

That has been a common practice with house brands for decades. Not just food items, but toothpaste and such as well. Same color package, similar lettering, etc. They know that if people grab the wrong one, and don't realize until they check out, they will seldom go back and get the right one, especially if people are in line behind them.

Lotsa times the house brands are the exact same product, however. Sometimes the containers are even identical, just with different labels.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Many people consider this practice as helpful, rather than deceptive. It helps to show the identical product at a lesser price. Yes, you need to read the labels, but in most cases the ingredients and proportions are the same. Check the ingredienst and price differential between Listerine cool mint and the house brand that looks similar. Benedryl antihistimine tablets?

Reply to
salty

But why would it really matter since it is frozen "pizza"?

Reply to
George

In many cases the house brand product now specifically say "Compare to " and indicate that it's not made by that company.

Reply to
Pete C.

ALDI is the king of this scheme...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Sorry but the house brands I mistook for the name brands tastes like shit.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Not the same as the taste of food. I'll buy generic medicine all day long but not generic food.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Bet you couldn't tell the difference if you didn't know which was which. I worked with a broad who wouldn't use brown coffee filters as she could "taste" it. I slipped one in on her and she never noticed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I usually buy the store brands if they're available. In a few cases I've been unhappy with the taste and buy the name brand ones next time, but usually the store label ones are as good (or better), and a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Mike O

Home Depot took the top 10% sellers in each category throughout the store and had those items copied in China and displays them within a recognized brands display area in place of the original product.

cm

Reply to
CM

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. That is why I hedged my previous post the way I did. Canned Veggies, for example, the house brand is often a notch lower on grading scale, even if it comes out of same plant. Bottled grapefruit or lemon juice, OTOH, is often obviously out of the same bottling plant, in the same glass or PET bottles, just with different labels. Tuna- well, you takes your chances. Judging by the lot numbering schema on the top, looks like the entire gamut, from name brand extra fancy to cat food, comes off the same factory ship, and it is a judgment call when they change labels. OTC Meds- the name brand and generic can be out of the same factory, but usually not, although the house brands at the various chains are often from the same place.

All you can do is do a sample purchase of a single container on the house brand, and give it a try. If you can't tell the difference, go with the cheap stuff, and hope they don't change suppliers the next month. 'House brand' often changes on the fly, as they get lower bids from some vendor looking to keep a factory running full shifts.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

instead

In some cases, they ARE made by the same company.

Reply to
salty

instead

My mother in law claims that if I boil water in the microwave for her tea, it's not the same as if I boil it on the stove.

Reply to
salty

instead

That used to be the case years ago, not so much these days, and when made by the same company, it's typically a case of a contract producer doing the production for a large number of brands and all to different specifications.

Reply to
Pete C.

instead

Using an old teapot that is impossible to clean inside will definitely have a different taste than heating a cup full of water in the microwave.

Reply to
willshak

Yep, in most cases the house brand products are perfectly acceptable. There may be some detectable difference if comparing side by side to a name brand, but not enough to justify the price difference.

Reply to
Pete C.