Wall removal

Ok, I'm a newbie here so take it easy on me. I probably should have done a search first, but I figured I would jump fight in, head first. My question is, I have a concrete block garage that has an additional 10 feet of so off to one side. The addition is just a roof over the concrete drive, a carport as you will. I was using as a boat port. Is it possible to put up a stud wall, say 2 foot or so, inside the garage, take down the concrete block wall, and still maintain the structural integrity of the roof? I'd like to enclose the storage, or boat port as I call it, in order to use it as a "single car garage" to park a vehicle in. Any thoughts or ideas on the matter would be appreciated. I can give more details if needed. TIA

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Can you simply add studs to the top of the existing block wall, and end up with a half-and-half wall?

-B

Well I didn't make my self clear in my o/p. The boat port is on the right side of the garage. I want to move the wall of the garage in about 2 foot to give more room on the right out side. I'm right on the property line now, so move out isn't an option.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

We can't see it from here, but if the inside wall is not load bearing, then you can do what you like. Even if it is, with enough extra bracing you should be able to do it.

PJ

Reply to
PJx
2 feet isn't really enough room to get by properly. 30" or 36" is better, check codes.

It's really hard to guess what your roof is like. Also there is the questi> Well I didn't make my self clear in my o/p. The boat port is on the right

Reply to
Paul Furman

Jerry, Paul is correct. The new wall would be considered a load-bearing wall and would have to be constructed as such. Local codes would determine the required materials and foundation depth. I am in Putnam County, NY and foundations are now required to be 42" deep. The piers for my back deck (14x28) would support a complete building!

Regards, Dennis J Sunday Home Inspection Systems

Dennis J Sunday

Reply to
Paul Furman

Use a big AX