wiring new pot lights (switch in finished wall?)

I am in the process of wiring 4 4" pot lights above the fireplace in a header and I am looking for any advice or criticisms as need be. The wall that I would like to put a switch/dimmer in is newly painted and I'd really rather not hack it up too badly. How difficult is it to put a box/switch in the finished wall? Is it easiest to put it right on the stud the a window is mounted to or should I look towards using one of those 'floating' boxes that fit right in the drywall?

Also... the header that will be the location for the lights is seemingly 'closed' off from the wall below. To explain a little better... There is some plumbing up there (supply/waste from upstairs?) and the wall directly behind the lights is an exterior wall. I would have thought that snaking the wire up the wall into the header would have been easy. However, all attempts to find access from the header to the wall have been miserably disappointing. I also thought about running the wire from the ceiling light in the same room but the studs/rafters go the wrong way (i.e. I would need to go in from above the ceiling from the 2nd floor and there's no easy access). So... it looks like going from the outlet on the closest wall is the best way to go but it seems like a super pain in the arse to get wire into this header.

Does anyone have any advice or ideas? I might hire an electrian but this work (other than the wire accessability) is pretty basic and nothing new for me.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

--

Reply to
The Good Bohemian

??? Don't call them "pot lights!" Just call them "grow lights." You don't want the Fed's knocking down your door at 4:00 in the morning.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

lol... let's agree on recessed cans then...

A.

Reply to
The Good Bohemian