Wall paper adhesive

I have to paste wallpaper on a VERY small area, approx 7" x 22".in my bathroom, The area has been repaired and prepped with a premium primer.

Went to garage; found my ANCIENT container of wallpaper paste is semi-solidified. I don't want to risk ruin the wallpaper -- not much extra left -- by adding water & hoping the paste will work.

Short of buying a large container of wallpaper paste which will never get used again, is there a product I can use to do this tiny job?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Sure...

  1. wheat paste

  1. white glue

  2. acrylic caulk

  1. et cetera

Reply to
dadiOH

What was used originally (the "solidified" paste)? If wheat paste, it is relatively cheap when not pre-mixed and should work fine. Brush on a coat of plain paste for size and let it dry prior to putting up paper. If the paper is pre-pasted, mix half-strength wheat paste, apply to paper, book it for the proper time and then apply. If you use Elmer's you will never get the paper off without ruining the drywall.

Reply to
Norminn

How about something like this?

or this?

Marilyn & Bob

Kind of what I was thinking. It's not like you have to buy a gallon bucket of wall paper adhesive or spend $25. I'd just go down to a store and buy a small can of the appropriate paste.

Some of the proposals seem questionable, like using acrylic caulk. Even if it works, I would think it would be a mess to deal with whenever the paper has to be removed.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks to all for thoughtful suggestions. I could have gone to the store & asked THEM -- but you probably know MORE & have no axe to grind.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

It will work.

He wants to put it on, not take it off :)

But yes, it would require a bit of work to get off. So would white glue. BTW, wetting the paper should weaken the bond with WG sufficiently so that the paper could be peeled off without damaging the gyp board. Further washing & scraping would remove all or most of the white glue and residual wallpaper; certainly enough to paint or re-paper.

Another oddball "adhesive" that could be used is drywall mud. Drying, not setting so that it could be washed off when/if desired. In fact, some of the commercial adhesives for heavy weight cloth backed vinyl are pretty much the same as drywall mud. A bit stickier, maybe.

Reply to
dadiOH

+1!!!!!!

...then eat it. It's about the best use for the wall paper, too.

Reply to
krw

Thanks to all who offered *constructive* suggestions. I panicked when out-of-town company was due and slapped on the tiny wallpaper section with white glue. You know what? The world did not come to an end

Again, appreciate the help.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson