Need advice on what to do to wallpaper...

Hi all, I have a full bathroom that has wallpaper on the walls. Have no clue how long this wallpaper has been up, but I know it isn't coming off. I've bought the scorer and gel and tried that. And try as I might, it just won't come off. A sharp blade won't do the trick either.

My cousin had a similar situation and she ended up putting something on the walls that isn't quite stucco, but looks like it. She can't remember now what it was that she used (but she remembered buying it from Home Depot, and that it wasn't at Lowe's), so I'm writing here to ask if anyone knows what I can use??? She recalls using a trowel to apply the stuff and that she did so straight on top of the wallpaper; having not primed the walls first, and she hasn't had a problem with it cracking or chipping. She also recalls it wasn't Venetian plaster. She said she put the stuff on straight from the container then did a color wash technique afterwards.

Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do with this bathroom? I wouldn't mind having textured walls in there, because it would add a great depth to the room and something 'different' for the house. This is a town house that is about 20 years old now, and I just spent around $10k having the house repaired from a broken pipe

ideal solution would have been to have had the contractors re-drywall that bathroom when they were in here repairing the other damage. Sadly, my budget ran out (and my patience) and now I've got to do this myself.

Thanks!!! Kathryn

p.s. I've asked people at Home Depot and Lowe's, but I'm getting so many different opinions ... I thought, well, gee why not post on a newsgroup and get even more opinions?? :-)

TV Girlie

Reply to
TV Girlie

I'd think twice about textured walls in a bathroom...too hard to clean. Too many nooks and crannies for mildew to grow.

Have you tried a wall paper steamer? The old fashioned steam tank on wheels tied to a hand held steam head? If you've already scored the paper, it's worth a trip to the rental shop. It's hot, hot, wet and messy work, but in a small room it should go fairly quickly. Just go slow and let the steam do the work.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Have you tried a wallpaper steamer?

Reply to
mark

Thanks for your advice.

What if I try a steamer and it doesn't work? And what do I do with the wall where it's been scored. There's already holes there. Seems like I'd have to re-drywall or something.

I see your point about mildew. But I'm not as worried about that. Especially since this bathroom isn't used to shower in. (I know that's not the right opinion for future buyers, etc.... but....)

Thanks!!!!

TV Girlie

Reply to
TV Girlie

x-no-archive: yes

The steamer will work, but it will be messy (water runs down the walls, gets on the floor, etc). Tip: Go very slow. Use a large steamer head attachment and hold it on the wall for 15-20 seconds in each spot. Get it good and soggy, then peel it off. Its slow and miserable work, but it is really the most effective thing. Been there, done that.

Dave

Reply to
Airkings

Dave, Thanks for your advice. But since I'm new to this I still wonder:

  1. Will I have to score the entire wall(s)? Does that help with steaming?
  2. I can't just paint over the score holes, so what do I do about them? Surely the holes will still show up on the paint job?

Thanks for your help! Kathryn

Reply to
TV Girlie

I'll lend you my son for a week or two. That'll get rid of that paper.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Let me guess...he's about three?

JennP.

Reply to
newfy.1

HA! That's cute!

btw, I tried that. I have a thing about picking and I've tried to pick the heck outta this stuff. Just not coming off. Just when I think it's going to come off......... nothing.

Sigh.

Reply to
TV Girlie

I work alot with different wallpaper situations for a living. If I had a client in your situation I would recommend putting an oil base primer on the walls as they are right now. The primer would create a barrier for any moisture getting to the old glue to reactivate it. Once the primer is on you will be better able to see the condition of the walls as far as pits from your attempts to strip the paper. If the condition is not to bad you could skim coat regular drywall compound and sand to get the walls smooth. Prime the skim coated area (priming will stop "flashing" or the shadowing of your final coats of paint if you plan to use an eggshell or semi gloss finish) and then put your desired finish coat on the walls. If the damage to the walls makes you feel that skim coating would be to much labor I would then go with a troweled on Venetian Plaster. The venetian is a good finish for a bathroom (high moisture) area. The plaster can be put on in thin layers that will not have to high of a texture, but will hide the damage. One other note, I like to tint my primers close to the desired finish color. If you want any further information and feel I might be able to give you some advice you can email me at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.net.

Good Luck

Reply to
Mickey

Hey, Thanks soooo much for your thoughtful response. I'll look into doing this. I really think this is the easier thing to do than doing more scoring, steaming, and doing the steps you listed above.

Thanks so much!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Kathryn

p.s. and THANKS to all the rest of you who responded. I needed help!

Reply to
TV Girlie