can i put laminent flooring over comercial carpet

the carpet is glued to concrete. the floor is dry. can i just put the flooring over the carpet?

Reply to
Fogbank

The bottom line is that the laminate floor needs a firm surface under it. I'm sure it says something to that effect on the installation instructions. If there is any doubt in your mind, you should call the manufacturer and give the guys in tech support a good laugh...

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

It might be possible over that really thin indoor outdoor stuff, but that's it. Anything with more give than the thin underlayment meant for it will be too much.

Reply to
mark

"mark" wrote

No. No manufacturer guarantees their laminate over _any_ type carpet.

Reply to
Nick

"Fogbank" wrote

No. There will be too much flex for the T&G.

Reply to
Nick

I ain't saying it won't void the guarantee......what about pounding some 3/4 plywood subflooring down over the carpet first?

Reply to
mark

Naah, pour a few inches of concrete.. That'll do it.

Honestly, you can do a job right or you can do shoddy work. Putting laminate over carpet is a bad idea for oh so many reasons.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Oh right, it's concrete. Jeez, I must be half asleep. I need to read more carefully. Laminate over concrete means you'll need a vapor barrier too, right?

Reply to
mark