mold? behind wall paper,

After seaching and reading about molds, I still not sure...

While I start removing wallpaper in my kitchen there's small area of black stuff underneath mostly close to the cieling. Then there's one sheet of wallpaper on the same wall was covered solid black, and the sheet next to it was clean. the stuff looks dry to me, and there's some white (original paint show through it), some of the stuff came off with wall paper, and some grey material showed underneath behind it(part of the cardboard?)

When I push that section of wall it caves in at the bottom around the trim area. I heared that they had fix somekind of dryrot? in bathroom floor (which is directly above kitchen. they hired a handyman who might just replaced the vinyle flooring. They also replaced several outside sidings board that was rotten. Also in the garage which is attached to the kitchen, they replaced a moldy spot, but was told there weren't anything underneath. Finally the previouse owner had passed away, so there's littl information on what happen to it.

My parents bought this place (as part of their retirement plan) while I go to school here in N. Cal, and it has been nothing but trouble. I hope I don't have to replace the wall. I am not very experienced with home improvement stuff. but I'm welling to learn to fix it myself... I just hope it will be cheaper than what I would get if I rent somewhere else...instead live in parent's place for "free".

Reply to
Steve

Do a search in your online phone book for mold mitigation or Mold & Mildew Inspection & Removal. Find out what it is first. I'm sure your parents wouldn't tolerate you living in a SICK house.

If the price is too high you'll at least be given more informaton on how to proceed professionally or do-it-yourself. Your insurance company may help in the cost of restoration.

GOOD LUCK!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell

Millions of houses have had wet spots and a little mold behind through the years. Until recently people simply repaired them and moved on. Now all the insurance companies around here exclude mold without an extra rider. And that's because of those few expensive cases where health is thought to be involved. Fix the source of water damage first. Then pull the drywall and replace it and clean the mold with bleach and replace the drywall. Yes, have it inspected if you are too worried. This could be a good learning experience for you and your parents deserve your help. PS. Do plenty of research on drywall repair before starting. The ceiling is the most difficult

Reply to
Al Bundy