Virginia wants $160,000 back

Sounds like the owner had excellent instincts and was quite clever.

Reply to
Lab Lover

No, I don't see any evidence that they ever wanted all of his property. They just wanted a small portion of the land from the lot his house is on for the additional exit lane. Very common.

Sure you have the right to due process and judicial appeal. So what? You're 80 years old and have lived there all your life. They offer you $250K, because that is what their appraiser says your homestead is worth. You have an appraiser that says it's worth $325K. The typical case here is they won't budge, screw you. They rather start the legal bill clock running, because those that write the laws anc control the process, ie the politicians, etc a lot of them are lawyers. Lawyers are their friends. So, they actually prefer that $75K go to law firms, their contributors, friends, connected, etc instead of just giving the old guy the $325K

That kind of sounds like what's going on here. They already have racked up $35K in outside legal bills, trying to recover $160K, on the *chance* that they might win. It's not like it's clear that he owes them $160K, the trial result could be that he wins.

Reply to
trader4

I see the confusion. I was talking about the other scenario of the man who kept his property which ultimately became lakefront property. See the posts from Ralph Mowery.

This has not been my personal experience, most jurisdictions I have encountered are more than willing to negotiate in good faith. However, I have seen homeowners, thinking they have the city over a barrel, make very poor tactical choices and find themselves behind the 8 ball with the jurisdiction.

The state of Virginia sounds like they are very unethical if not downright gangster-like.

Reply to
Lab Lover

No, Virginia. There is not an Obama Claus.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon