vinyl siding install question

Hello, I am considering installing vinyl siding on the exterior of my house. It is a 1950's built bungalow with clapboard siding. Should I remove the old clapboard and then install the vinyl siding, or can i put vertical furriung wod strips on top of the clapboard and then apply the siding? Also, if i remove the clpaboard should i put a water barrier over the exposed sheathing? Any suggestions appreciated. regards, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Depends. It is possible to put on 1/2" insulating board and just go over the clapboard, but if there is damage, you can easily repair it by removing the siding. Makes window trim easier also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Steve

No strapping needed. The foam adds some insulation, but mostly if gives a smooth surface to nail to.

As for the windows, you have to trim them somehow. The more you build up around them the deeper set the window is. It may or may not add work but it can affect the appearance.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Also any lights attached to the house have to be taken down, after the foam and the siding is attached, the lights are over a half inch farther away from the house than when you started. There are offset boxes just for this.

Siding crews will put up the foam then the siding. They can't be bothered removing the old siding. Windows get wrapped with painted sheet aluminum.

Even if you remove the old siding, there will still be issues. The vinyl will be thinner than the old siding.

Reply to
Dan Espen