Vibrating Noise when I turn the hot water on

Hi,

Does anyone know what can cause a loud vibrating noise when I turn the hot water on? It lasts about 1 minute and then goes away. I have a Hotstow 50 Gal hot water tank. I have never heard this noise before but just started hearing it a week ago.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Exactly what vibrates? Is it like a banging? Does only one Hot faucet do this, or all of them? Is it a rumbling noise *inside* the heater?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Google "water hammer" and see if it fits the symtoms you're experiencing, and how discharging your water system by opening a few taps and turning off your main shutoff might help.

Caveat: if you're unsure of the operational status of your main shutoff and/or haven't actuated it in a while, do this procedure early on a weekday after you've had your shower. If your main shutoff fails, you won't be paying as much to get a plumber out there to replace it, and the city water folks will be in teh office in case they're needed to help locate and shutoff the curb shutoff for the replacement of teh main shutoff.

Note the main shutoff isn't related to the cause of water hammer, just something needed for one of teh possible resolutions.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

One faucet? All faucets? If it is just one, it could be the faucet washer vibrating.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I beleive it has happened on multiple faucets and the bath tub.

Reply to
Rob

Go play detective. Find out where in the system the sound originates. Near the heater? Near a shutoff valve?

Reply to
Speedy Jim

bad washers will make a vibrating noise

Reply to