Vertical Edge Sealing On T1-11 Wood Siding Panels ?

Hello,

Hate to be a pest on this, but there is so much expertise on this group, that I thought I'd ask again, hoping someone new might have any experience with this. I have been doing extensive lookups myself, honest, but just can't come up with any answers.

With T1-11 wood house siding, I understand pretty much how the horizontal edges are sealed with Z-flashing, and how these edges should alo be primed, and spaced about

1/4" above the flashing to prevent any wicking into the end grain via capillary action.

But, it's the vertical edges where they abut the neighboring panels that I can't understand how they are sealed. Are they just primed with some sealer, or is their a special type of flashing, or are they caulked, or... ?

What is normally, or should be done, for these vertical edges ?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Much thanks, Bob

BTW: are oil based sealer and primers O.K., or should one use only a latex type ?

Reply to
Robert11

Been years since I worked in building supply but as I remember the T1-11 sheets had an side overlap and needed only to be painted or sealed with a sealer like Thompson's Water Seal. I'd use a Thompsons sealer on them before I installed. Hope this helps. Jack

Reply to
tinacci336

I am around a number of camp buildings with T1-11 as siding built 40 years ago. Still in excellent condition.

Vertical seams were glued to studs, an oil based penetrating stain was used (sprayed or brushed, it varied). No edge preparation and no problems in over 40 years.

gerry

Reply to
gerry