Bathtub replacement options?

It drives me crazy to replace the old tub because it is an old cast iron thing (I think) that is likely sixty hears old. It is functional but we're planning on redoing the whole bathroom and the tub just isn't shinny enough for one of us. That strikes me as a poor reason to rip it out but, well, you know.

I've scanned a few years of messages here and the option of resurfacing (or rather, painting) apparently only lasts for five years even if done by a professional. There seems to be no point in redoing the room and then having to rip out the tub when it starts to peel.

Here's the plan. It's a small bathroom that is the width of the tub (5

1/2 feet I think). There is a separate stall shower which gets used, while the tub mostly holds the cat litterbox. Not very sightly but functional. So, we replace the tub with something and add a shower. The litterbox moves to the stall shower and I add some sort of dust filter there to deal with the litter dust.

The question really is what kind of tub to use as a replacement. I figure that as long as we're ripping the old one out that I might as well replace it with a small whirlpool thing. However, there is a question of major cleaning problems with something like that, as well as durability. Most of the time it will be used as a shower.

So, plain bathtub or jacuzzi? Plastic or metal? Other thoughts welcome. Money is, naturally, an issue and I'm hiring someone to do this. I can fix minor stuff but I'm not capable of doing a bathroom.

Reply to
dgk

you can send you old cast iron tub out to be completely refinished if you want.

they sand it down, remove all the old porcelin, and replace and bake it just like it was originally.

good as new with a similiar life expectancy.

hard work removing the old cast iron tub and carrying it out/

If you like it why not get a price?

this isnt any of those paint the tub, this makes it essentially brand new

Reply to
hallerb

Interesting.

How would one find such a company?

Reply to
RayV

I'm not a big fan of small jacuzzi type tubs. Small ones are not comfortable or very practical IMO. A large one is better, but now you have to use a hell of a lot of hot water to fill it up, need a larger water heater, so they have serious drawbacks too. IMO, if you want a jacuzzi, get a hot tub/spa either for outside or inside if you have a suitable location. It's big, always available, and a better solution.

As for the existing tub, getting it refinished outside is an option. I've seen it done on TOH TV show. However I think that makes sense only if you're trying to preserve the look of an real old claw foot tub, etc. From a practical and cost standpoint I would think it likely that a new tub would be the better solution.

Reply to
trader4

I love my clawfoot tub. I found a perfect book/magazine rack for it. I've had it refinished twice in the 20 years I've owned the house, once just after I moved in and again ten years ago. The phone book lists several companies that do it. Or you can send it out. The feet of mine will come off so it will fit through the door.

My neighbours cut a cat door in the door leading from the kitchen to the basement, and keep their litter box down there.

Reply to
chris

I didn't mean to imply that the tub was particularly nice. There are some nice ripples along the bottom but no claw legs or anything. It's pretty much just a white box and sending it out would not be a cost effective solution. Any tub will pretty much fill the bill.

As for Chris's Litterbox in the basement idea, it could be done but I don't think that they would appreciate the inconvenience (they hang out upstairs most of the time) nor would I, because I'm the guy that gets to scoop it out twice a day. And you really don't want your cats pissed about a litterbox move.

Reply to
dgk

Sounds like you just have an old contractor tub porcelain on steel rather than a true cast iron tub. Not freestanding right, built into 3 walls like many baths are?

You can certainly still get porcelain on steel in a standard tub with skirt, they are quieter than fiberglass to fill and use. You can even get the retro look of the wavy lines you mentioned

Most wirlpool tubs will be acrylic or fiberglass. With proper care (no abrasive cleaners) it will last a long time and can be polished later rather than recoated. I clean mine with dishwasher gel detergent and that works great to cut the soap scum and oils.

I say forget about the material and find a tub that you like the look size and features and learn to care for the matrerial whatever it is later.

Personally I got rid of the litter box alltogether and installed a cat door instead. I think he likes that better anyway. I just wish he would stop kicking the mulch into the patio when he goes.

If you do want a refinished old tub. check out archetectural recyclers in your area. These guys buy old tubs/ radiators/ hardware etc to resell or restore.

Reply to
PipeDown

It just seems to me that keeping the tub just so you can keep the litterbox in it is kind of a waste of space. I was trying to think of an alternative.

Reply to
chris

Leaving a cat door open so they can go outside isn't really an option. I have my small backyard fenced in so they can't get out but I only let them out when I'm around. Other animals, notably raccoons, do manage to get in and out of the yard and I do not want a confrontation with the cats.

Part of the reasoning for using the existing shower stall is to keep the litter dust contained and easy to clean/filter. Plus we can take the occasional bath once that is freed up.

If, as another poster wrote, the fiberglass tubs are as good as the current steel one (I think that it is just steel rather than cast iron

- it is installed in the three walls) then I can just do that. I figured that they would wear out faster.

I was looking forward to the whirpool but perhaps one of those over-the-side type units would be acceptable for the occasional sore muscle full body soak.

I just know that this is going to cost me a lot of money.

Reply to
dgk

Do you want to sell the home in the near future? If so, resale would dictate both a tub and a shower stall. Generally people want a tub for children, and adult people want a shower stall. So if resale is in your future, put in a new cast iron tub and tile surround, and a nice new tiled shower.

But....if you plan on living there a long time.... do what you want. If I were to have one or the other, I'd have a tub with tile surround because it's more practical. But think about your needs and wants and do something nice...don't do a jury rig job. A complete remodel gives you the opportunity to do something first class.

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

Uh, quality 'modern' style tubs with skirts are cast iron, not steel. The steel ones, that ring and ding like a car fender, are what the cheap contractor-grade tubs were before plastic tubs got cheap. I was a construction-site gofer back then- I humped enough of them in off the truck to know the difference. The cast iron ones are a LOT heavier. I haven't seen a new stamped-steel tub in years- not sure they even make them any more. Modern plastic are okay too, and a lot warmer on the bare butt or feet, especially if the dead space isn't insulated properly, but cast iron with porcelin is by far the most durable.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

a friend has a cat door to basement, and a auto cleaning litter box. reports ot saves her lots of work and mess

Reply to
hallerb

Cat door is a great idea, that way it craps in the neighbor's garden.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm likely here for ten years or so. I guess I do what we want. Likely just going to be a new plastic thing.

Reply to
dgk