Verizon defeats AT&T for best LTE in network study, T-Mobile tops network speeds

Verizon defeats AT&T for best LTE in network study, T-Mobile tops network speeds <https://9to5mac.com/2019/07/15/verizon-t-mobile-best-lte-study/
Key findings <https://www.opensignal.com/reports/2019/07/usa/mobile-network-experience
*Verizon users see big improvements in Video Experience* Six months ago, no U.S. operator scored better than a Fair rating in our Video Experience analysis, but since then Verizon has managed to climb out of the Fair ranks into Good territory. That means our users generally experienced faster loading times and fewer interruptions during playback when streaming video to their devices over Verizon's networks than over its competitors'. Verizon's dominance in this metric was nowhere more apparent than in the big cities, where it won or tied for every single one of our regional Video Experience awards.
*Download speed is a three-way fight between AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile* One of the most remarkable trends we've been tracking in our measurements over the last year is AT&T's rapid rise in 4G Download Speed experience. AT&T is now within a megabit of challenging the download speed leader in our measurements, and its average 4G Download Speed of 24.6 Mbps was the fastest our users experienced on any of the major operators' networks due to new spectrum and network upgrades. AT&T may still be in third place in Download Speed Experience in this report, but what was once a two-way race in this metric is now a three-way race. AT&T could easily vie for the Download Speed Experience award in our next report.
*T-Mobile steps into the lead in our speed metrics* Verizon and T-Mobile's tug of war in our speed metrics has swung back in favor of T-Mobile. The operator not only won our Download Speed Experience award, breaking the tie we recorded in our January report; it also wrenched our Upload Speed Experience award away from Verizon. But Verizon is still highly competitive in both metrics, and due to AT&T's rapidly improving speed results, T-Mobile faces a second challenger in Download Speed Experience.
*As the 5G era dawns, US operators double down in 4G Download Speed* The first commercial 5G services may be live in the U.S., but that hasn't stopped operators from improving their 4G networks. We recorded increases in average user 4G Download Speed from every major operator, and now all four of them have surpassed 20 Mbps in this metric. The biggest jump we recorded was for AT&T. It led all the operators in our analysis, with our users experiencing average 4G Download Speeds of 24.6 Mbps on AT&T's network.
*Verizon keeps its 4G Availability crown*, but overall growth in 4G access has stalled Verizon once again led all operators in our 4G Availability metric, but after years of consistent growth across the industry in this metric, overall growth in 4G Availability has nearly ground to a halt. Verizon and T-Mobile are hovering just above 94% in 4G Availability while AT&T and Sprint were lingering right below the 90% milestone. We expect that any future gains in this metric will be incremental, especially as operators turn their attention to 5G rollouts.
*AT&T flexes its 4G muscles in the big cities* Though Verizon and T-Mobile overshot AT&T in our national Download Speed Experience analysis, AT&T won the most awards outright in our city-level download analysis, showing that the average 4G speeds users see are really ramping up in urban areas. AT&T also clocked the lowest individual Latency Experience scores in our city-level metrics, despite sharing our national latency award with T-Mobile. Both trends are likely signs that AT&T's new urban-focused 4G upgrades are having a big impact.
On 7/16/2019 1:08 AM, Arlen G. Holder wrote:

I don't understand the obsession with LTE speed. 4K content requires only about 15Mb/s. I am on a Verizon MVNO and get 75-120Mb/s. I think that even Sprint must be fast enough for 4K video. There are some MVNOs where they cap download speed, i.e. Cricket, Visible (now they only cap hotspot) which would not be suitable for high-definition video.
Coverage is more of an issue. I think that within the next couple of months I will be getting AT&T coverage at my house after about 20 years (not really because I did have AT&T TDMA voice coverage when I first moved in). I can see the fake tree tower from my back yard but apparently it is not yet provisioned.

there's *much* more to lte than streaming 4k content, something rarely done over lte because of the bandwidth it consumes and because 4k displays are not mobile.
On 07/16/2019 11:20 AM, sms wrote:

They're betting better with the faux palms -- they plant 2 real ones next to it. Not much they can do with the Jersey pines, though.
T-Mobile coverage is -- to be charitable -- spotty. When it's good it's very very good, though.
--
Cheers, Bev
The beatings will continue until morale improves

it used to be spotty. it's definitely not spotty anymore. in fact, coverage is quite good.
however, there are always dead spots, no matter what carrier it is.
On 7/16/19 3:49 PM, nospam wrote:

Phone companies are liars. If only cell coverage was as good as shown on their coverage maps.

they say their maps are an approximation, based on tower locations, not a site survey.
overall, it's a very good guide.
On Tuesday, July 16, 2019 at 3:49:28 PM UTC-4, nospam wrote:

IDK about before, but I've been with Mint Mobile, a T-Mobile MVNO for about 18 months now and coverage and speed in the NJ/NYC area and all the way down 95 to SC has been excellent. I get 170Mbit at home. And with plans that cost $15 to $25 a month, it can't be beat.

On 7/16/2019 12:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

T-Mobile is passable in urban areas. But a lot of rural areas in California have no T-Mobile coverage at all and no roaming onto AT&T. To be fair, their maps disclose the lack of coverage. I don't think that T-Mobile is even that cheap.
T-Mobile stresses unlimited data but the reality is that the average data usage per month in the U.S. is 6.1GB for unlimited plans and 1.6GB for limited plans. And of course when you're on an unlimited plan you don't even bother using available Wi-Fi, so the actual data really needed is much lower. On my Verizon MVNO I get 30GB shared between three lines for $85 per month including taxes and fees. I don't think I've ever used even 10GB of it. It's rare for my data speed to be below 50Mb/s.
If you have T-Mobile then you can get a free taco from Taco Bell on Tuesday though <https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-tuesdays .

much more than passable. it's actually quite good.
you've obviously not used it, certainly not recently.

lots of rural areas have little to no coverage, regardless of carrier.
there's little motivation to add coverage to places where there aren't very many people.
what matters is urban and suburban areas, where people actually are, and in those areas, all four carriers have excellent coverage.

nonsense.
the phone will automatically switch to wifi when available.
that can be disabled, but few people, if any, do so, because there's no reason to avoid wifi, especially since wifi is typically faster, more reliable and most importantly, required to be able to access other devices on the internal network.
and even though it's called unlimited, it's not actually unlimited.
those who are huge data hogs get throttled or even shut down.
<https://bgr.com/2017/06/29/verizon-unlimited-plan-data-caps-vs-t-mobile /> But some customers in rural areas claim that Verizon has cut them off the Unlimited plan altogether, thanks to excessive data usage. A number of customers on Howard Forums have shared stories about Verizon shutting down Unlimited accounts after data usage got too high, which is a little ironic.
On 7/16/2019 12:31 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Next is small cells. Thankfully our previous governor vetoed a bill that would have pretty much given free reign for extremely ugly small cells that would look like dorm size refrigerators hung on utility poles.
My city came up with a design, that has been adopted by other cities as well, that is much less obtrusive. Since the small cells can't be shared, and the range is short, our city engineer said that we'll likely end up with almost every light pole in the public right of way with a small cell.

metricom did that all over the bay area more than 20 years ago.