network

I've got about 100 ft. to go including up and down the walls between two rooms. I can't as yet come up with a better idea than string the cable down through a hole in the ceiling. Any better ideas?

Will 100 ft on a 100 LAN work?

Thanks, : -)

Reply to
Not so quick

It works wonderfully in my home.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

"Not so quick" wrote in :

Fish it down through the walls...

Reply to
Pick

Hi, It'll work at 1000 feet too. Now wireless is becoming more popular. Also heard 2.4GHz cordless phones interfering with wireless WAP. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

have you thought about using a wireless network? I know linksys

has some good equipment to do this. It should save you a lot of time running cable.

Reply to
txoutdoors

You'll not get nearly the bandwidth. What's wireless at the moment,

11Mbits? I don't know anyone who's ever been disappointed after running copper.
Reply to
kyle york

Maximum length is 328ft. or 100 meters for CAT 5e cable 100BaseT

Dave

Reply to
justdave1

I am far from a networking expert, but I am not sure that you'll get full

100mbps between 2 ethernet cards unless you have a router, such as a DSL/Cable router, which are almost a necessity if you have broadband.

Running cable is cheap and easy. I have a big server in the basement, and a little laptop. I can load software from the server to the laptop over the wire at 100mbps, with no perceptible bottleneck. You won't have the security worries with wire that you do with wireless.

And having 2 small kids in my house, I feel more comfortable knowing that I am not frying their little brains with radio waves...but let's not start a debate...

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not to mention that copper is much more secure, by default.

Wireless can be made secure, but not right out of the box.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

FWIW, Max length for the true RS-232 standard was what, 50 feet?

I've worked in places with 200 foot RS-232 cables that worked flawlessly. I would have no doubt that other maximums are easily exceeded in typical environments.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi,

128 bit encoded WEP is pretty secure! But then I noticed lot of people use WAP on default setting out of box w/o WEP enabled, RF power level adjusted, or firewall configured. Tony
Reply to
Tony Hwang

My point exactly.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

That's what I do because I don't want to slow the connection down with unnecessary encryption. Cable internet loops are insecure enough that I am not worred about somebody tapping into my connection. Besides, I live on a 2.5 acre lot with the house right in the middle. I can barely get a signal on my porch.

Reply to
Brad

Actually on the win-home list this was just discussed and there was a solution to up the bandwidth btw floors and through walls.

search on wireless network, last 2 weeks.

Reply to
ClaudCar

Hi, You can have a repeater, you can use better antenna, if you want wireless, it is possible even on 10 acre lot. How encryption slow down things? Can you elaborate on it? Even wired connection uses encryption. Secured computing(like military, foreign servies, etc.) is always using some sort of encryption. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

54 MBit with WirelessG. Plenty fast for a home user, faster than your cable modem.

Speed isn't bandwidth.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Every time you process something, it takes time. Encrypted data is processed at least two more times than unencrypted data.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Not exactly. Just different security issues

Many newe setups are coming with WEP enabled. Besides, the cable modem isn't secure out of the box, the OS isn't secure out of the box. Far more people are compromised on a wired network than a wireless one.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran