Vent Pipe Part

I am looking to replace the round rubber part at the bottom of this bathroom vent pipe (see link at bottom) where it enters the roof. You can partly see on the other side that the rubber is crumbling and allowing rain to enter the attic. What is this part called (boot, gasket?) and do the big box stores carry them? Can I just seal it with some kind of rubber sealant?

Thanks!

Reply to
Rocinante

Vent roof flashing, roof vent stack flashing. Don't do a bandaid with sealant - that won't work for long, and you can't just replace the rubber part. There are products that slip over the vent, such as:

they have limitations as well.

The big box stores will carry vent flashing, but I've never noticed a repair product. Try a local roofing supplier - the odds are much better they'll have something that'll work for you.

RicodJour

Take the picture to a local roofing company that is recommended by someone you trust and see what they recommend. It makes a difference if your area is subject to below freezing temperatures or not. You can always try that black rubbery stuff they are advertising on TV that claims to repair anything, they supposedly covered a screen door in the bottom of a rowboat without any leaks, but that is only for a day, you probably would like the fix to last five years or more.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Sadly there is no replacement part other than roofing cement.

There are some fairly expensive retro fit thing but they also are made of plastic.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I have no problem with removing shingles. I just wanted to know the name of the part so I could search for it on Google, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Reply to
Rocinante

They're called vent pipe boots. Go to google and type "vent pipe boot". Lots of them will appear.

I'm not suggesting Amazon, but this site has photos.

I do recall seeing them at a large Ace Hardware store. Several people said to go to a roofing company, when in fact, I'd go to a plumbing supply store. Some of the big box stores should have them too. In PLUMBING DEPT.

They are sometimes called "Vent Pipe Collars" too.

Also look here:

By the way, if you need a temporary patch, use silicone, not roofing cement (tar).

Reply to
jimw2

They have them in the area of the store where shingles and roofing products are located.

Reply to
trader4

Got my replacement @ Menards after a raccoon decided he didn't like the old one.

tom

I should have looked at the how to videos on Youtube before I ripped off the shingles and felt in pieces to get to the flashing. Oh well, I still have some extra shingles.

Reply to
Rocinante