flashing and rubber boot on 3.5" PVC vent pipe installation

I discovered that the plumbing roof vent leaks and will need to replace the rubber boot which seals against the PVC pipe. Apparantly, water is dripping down the PVC pipe onto the attic insulation. What adhesive (if any) should be used in this installation application? Will GE Silicone II stand up to UV rays? The house is in east TN, long hot summers, short freezing winters.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'd just replace the whole flashing. What kind of roof? Tom

Reply to
tom

Asphalt. The new piece I have has a rubber boot and metal flashing. But, I wanted to know if an adhesive is needed where the rubber boot touches the PVC vent pipe.

Reply to
Phisherman

No adhesive is required. When I had my last rooof put on the installers reccomended I use lead or the roof would outlast the rubber boots. Lead sheet is woven into the singles with the pipe passing through a hole in it. Then a lead tube was slid over the pibe and soldered to the lead sheet. The tube is cut a little longer than the vent pipe and the lead is folded over and tucked inside the pipe For two vents it cost me $100 and Iit will never have to be replaced until I have to do a tearoff. With a little care by the roofers maybe not even then.

Jimmie.

Reply to
JIMMIE

No adhesive is required. When I had my last rooof put on the installers reccomended I use lead or the roof would outlast the rubber boots. Lead sheet is woven into the singles with the pipe passing through a hole in it. Then a lead tube was slid over the pibe and soldered to the lead sheet. The tube is cut a little longer than the vent pipe and the lead is folded over and tucked inside the pipe For two vents it cost me $100 and Iit will never have to be replaced until I have to do a tearoff. With a little care by the roofers maybe not even then.

Jimmie.

I second the thought. I did that on a previous house after discovering the old boot leaking. On this newer house I just did before a problem came up as a penetrative measure. If it is a roof that you can walk on easily, it is a DIY project. You can find these lead shields at the Borg.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

No adhesive needed. If the pitch is walkable, a good roofer could probably fix it in ten minutes. Tom

Reply to
tom