Urethaning hardwood floors -- what works best?

Hello,

I'm planning to refinish the hardwood floors throughout my 1930's home (about 100 sq ft total), and have questions regarding how best to Urethane them:

I went into Home Depot and got some information from the rack and from the salesman. He tells me that the various Urethanes run from $20/gal to $50/gal depending mostly on the time it takes to dry and be ready for furnature, so we can spend $20 and not be able to move in for a month, or $50, and be able to move in a week.

And then he suggested buying a 5 gallon can of industrial urethane, the kind used for gym floors. You can get it in satin, semi-gloss, or gloss, he said, and it'll be completely dry the next day. A 5 gallon bucket costs less than $50, so it is certainly economical.

I figure that if the "industrial" stuff was really a cure-all, no one in their right mind would buy anything else. Am I right? Or is it really just a well-kept secret that everyone should be throwing a quick coat of gym floor on the living room?

And assuming I go for one of the other products, do people have advice? I am interested in something quick-drying and easy to apply, and not having to sand between coats is a bonus (if I do need to sand between coats, can I just use a drywall sander and an extender pole with some 220 on it instead of renting the sander for another day?)

Thanks for all your help,

Riley

Reply to
Christopher Riley

you need to talk to someone else.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I had very good success with the water-based Varethane on a dining room floor I did a few years ago. Used a semi-gloss finish. Dried very quickly. 100 square feet is pretty small for 5 gallons. A couple gallons would easily do it.

Reply to
Kurt

you need to talk to someomne else

Water base is more expensive and doesnt yellow , If you dont sand with a machine before the last coat it wont look good. Who said 30 days move in ? Go to a paint store and talk to paint pros not HD H.O.s

Reply to
m Ransley

With the water-based varethane, suggested time before moving furniture back in was 7 days (if I remember right- I called Varethane on this). The floor was dry enough to walk on within hours.

Reply to
Kurt

Not sure about the quality and drying times (I've always just used the cheapest and it's worked out well) but as to sanding you don't need to keep (or re-rent) the sander. The purpose of the between-coat sanding is not to smooth out anything but rather to provide a key for the next coat. Just take the last (worn-out) paper you used on the drum of the sanding machine and get down on your hands and knees and swoosh it across the floor in large arcs trying to cover every part but not bearing down. Alternatively you could use 150 or 220 grit sheets but a drywall sander is overkill. Why would you want an extender pole? Don't sand if it's not dry. Take off your shoes and walk on it in your socks. It's very important though to remove any dust (from the sanding or otherwise). Use a rag dampened with the solvent for the poly.

Reply to
OoopsaDoopsy

Reply to
nospambob

Neither HD nor paint stores sell good floor finish. No pro refinisher in his right mind buys product from either, nor would theyt think of getting advice from one. For fast dry times and next day furniture installaion Basic Coatings Street Shoe sets the standard. $70/gal.Water base polyurethane. Cures very quickly and is arguably the best floor finish made. Bona Traffic is also good, but slower curing. 100 sq ft is nothing, one gal will give you 4 coats easy.Light hand sand with worn 100 or a screen just before the final two coats, then follow with final coats in quick succession.

Gym finish is not to be used in a home, but its your home....

tweaked

Thanks for the info. Where would I look for Basic Coatings Street Shoe? Hardware store?

And I made a typo in my original message: I have about 1000 square feet to do, not 100.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Riley

Why not? Dangerous? Not long lasting? What? Paul

Reply to
Paul M

Thats bs I have gym finish on my floors 7 coats 14 yrs, and no wear, still gloss.

Reply to
m Ransley

Paul M wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews4.newsguy.com:

Typically gloss, not attractive in a home. Heavy, heavy ambering.

If it was so good, the pros would use it. They don't for good reason.

tweaked