Update 3 on GE Profile Dryer :-(

After what seemed a success yesterday, with the dryer reportedly working, my wife told me that they dried three loads of clothes. Then the machine displayed a message "CLEAN LINT FILTER" and stopped working since. (despite them, obviously, cleaning the lint filter belatedly).

I took out the igniter again and bench tested it out of desperation. It worked fantastically from 110v.

I put the igniter back again and the damn machine started working fine again. I am doing a load right now. I am not as much excited about it as I was yesterday. Feels like an afermath of a "bear market rally".

Out of the things that I did tonight, I do not know which could even possibly help, but something did help.

Reply to
Ignoramus26567

Teach yoiur wife to disassemble, and change out the fasteners to aircraft push and lifts

Gunner

"Human nature is bad. Good is a human product  A warped piece of wood must be steamed and forced before it is made straight; a metal blade must be put to the whetstone before it becomes sharp. Since the nature of people is bad, to become corrected they must be taught by teachers and to be orderly they must acquire ritual and moral principles." ?Sun Tzu

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have had good results with problem electric dryers by taking them out side and blowing out all the air passages and around the drum with compressed air or a leafblower. Lots of lint comes out, and then they work. Maybe yours wants this treatment?

Reply to
Bob F

If taking it apart and putting back together temorarily fixes it, then the probability there is a bad connection is very high. Check all crimp-on terminals, examine related circuit boards for cracks or bad solder joints, and if the only thing you are disassembling is the igniter, then it has to be the igniter or the wires to it.

Of course, if you have to tear the whole machine apart to get to the igniter, then it could be any number of wires and connections are being jostled when you open it up.

The clean lint filter message sounds like maybe an air flow sensor is not seeing enough air flow, so either the blower is packed with dust, the vent pipe is restricted, or the sensor has gone bad. Or, another bad connection that got fixed by opening it up. The pros probably have a secret flow chart for diagnosing this kind of stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Your answer is in this paragraph somewhere. I second the above. Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Or just hang a rubber mallet next to it, operate a needed and when it finally quits, you won't have an intermittent to solve.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

female socket parts of connectors will often find the problem. Measure the pins and get a drill bit or something else very close in size. Check the sockets for good TENSION on the pin. Especially if there are high current connections, be sure they are good and clean. I have scraped out sockets with a bent needle point. A magnifier will often help.

If there are circuit boards involved there will sometime be a hairline solder crack at or near the connector and just carefully re-melting the connectons will do the job. Bad wire crimp joints are not unknown also.

Good Luck, Don Young

Reply to
Don Young