Unsticking a frozen back brake cable

If it has fish oil or vegetable oil in it, it'll get sticky as it oxidizes. If it's all mineral oil or lard oil, it won't. I'm not sure that it matters for this application.

I need something that will penetrate and will lubricate a little so I can get the cable to move in the housing. Then I'll probably pull it out and inspect it, and then not be able to get it back in.

PB Blaster, huh? Do I get that at a gun shop or Ace Hardware or an auto parts store?

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Whatever you use, follow it with an oil chaser.

Reply to
Bob F

And makes the kitchen smell to good?

Reply to
Bob F

It doesn't, so it won't. Did you look at the MSDS?

I wouldn't expect to find it at a gun shop, but yes to the others. WalMart too, maybe.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If you already have WD40 just use it. The advantages of other products for this application aren't worth a trip to the store. If the casing itself isn't starting to crack and the visible parts of the cable, both ends and an inch or so inside the casing are good shape, it is probably safe to reuse. If you do, be sure to check the parts of the cable hidden by the brake lever frequently and carefully to make sure the cable isn't starting to come apart or fray at that end. As others have said, you will need to grease the cable too.

--Betsy

Reply to
Betsy

"Betsy" wrote \

I can see you haven't ever used PB Blaster, and are totally uninformed. I have put it on "frozen" bolts, and left it overnight. The next day, I could have gotten it loose with my hands, but chose to use light pressure from a wrench, pliers, or visegrips.

You should try something before you comment on it.

Kroil is good, too.

And both are the kinds of things that a can of it lasts five years, but when you need it, nothing else will do.

Like an impact driver.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Yes, PB Blaster and Kroil are both far superior to WD-40. Betsy is correct however, that in this case, if WD-40 is on hand, there is no reason to drive somewhere and buy anything else for THIS situation.

This is not a frozen bolt and nut. It's a sticky bicycle brake cable.

WD-40 is more than up to this challenge.

Reply to
JohnnyD

Just go to a bike shop and buy a new cable. Seriously, it's not worth fighting with it. The better ones are now made of stainless and still aren't any more expensive than a can of penetrating oil. Make sure you get some ferrules and also when you cut the housing, make sure you dress the housing end flat with either a file or a bench grinder.

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

Any automotive store, It's the strongest and the fastest rust killer.

Reply to
LSMFT

Smitty Two thinks it makes a good asthma inhaler. He likes the garlic flavored one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Not as much lubrication as liquid wrench - and PB leaves even more. Best bet is to use a penetrant to free it up, and a lubricant to protect and lubricate it.

Reply to
clare

I worked at a defense plant back in 1971 that produced artillery shell safety devices. The round had to spin so many times before it would arm. The clockwork mechanisms of the devices were lubed with WD-40 on the production line. I suppose it was also used to protect the devices in case of moisture intrusion.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Then, wait six more months, and tell us what you find.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, him and his girlfriend. Ouch! Good thing they had that cordless phone nearby.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:i1q2b9$qsj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

WalMart does have it,that's where I bought mine.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Smitty Two wrote in news:prestwhich- snipped-for-privacy@mx01.eternal-september.org:

no,it's just not worthwhile to use. and it does gum up over time.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I doubt you'll convince SmittyTwo of that. His mind seems to be made up. And you may not have any other opinion than his.

But, I do agree. WD40 is for temporary lubrication, cleaning, and other uses, but it does gum up over time, or is just a sand magnet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

ACTUALLY, it's not a lubricant at all. It's a water displacer.

And it is certainly not a penetrating oil.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I guess sinse rust is hydrated iron oxide, there could be a case made for the water displacement function getting rid of the "rust" and turning it to "iron oxide"

Reply to
clare

Well, I know that and YOU know that but .........

I got a thing a while back about 99 uses for WD 40. Some of them were quite unique, and I'd like to find it again and print it. One of the things was wasp bites. If I get any this summer, I'll be trying it. I got stung one day last summer by five of the lovely little creatures. All at once. Ow!

My BIL told me a story of how he used it at banks he did service work at to "rejuvenate" the granite tops. He saw that the lady was watching him, trying to find out the secret. She asked him what it was, and he just told her, "Oh, you have to have a federal license to buy this particular stuff." Made some nice bucks just with some liquid WD 40 and a terrycloth towel.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B