Unsticking a frozen back brake cable

English and physics and chemistry aside, it works good for some "stuff", and not so good for other "stuff".

RIP, George Carlin re: "stuff".

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Kerosene has always been a tried and true wasp sting remedy. That is why wd40 works in that area. That is all it basically is.

Another thing that will remove the pain immediately is clorox. Just a dab on your finger touched to the sting and you're good.

Reply to
Steve Barker

That old nonsense again. That simply isn't true. I posted a link to the MSDS for WD40 earlier in this thread; go read it. It shows clearly that WD40 is

*not* "basically" just kerosense.
Reply to
Doug Miller

Even more nothing remains.

Reply to
JohnnyD

There is ZERO kerosene in WD-40.

Reply to
JohnnyD

Yes, but Steve knows that if you get a wart from touching a toad, WD-40 will remove it.

Reply to
JohnnyD

That's dark matter. When enough aggregates, a black hole forms. You have been warned.

Reply to
Bryce

If you look at the msds and look at kerosene it is pretty darn close. You will notice 45-50% of WD40 ia "aliphatic hydrocarbons" Well, guess what. Paraffin is an alkane, which is - get this, an "aliphatic hydrocarbon" Kerosene, or lamp oil, is 100% paraffin Hydrocarbon - which is an alkane, which is, by definition, an"aliphatic hydrocarbon", so 45 - 50 % of WD40 IS basically KEROSENE. Up to 25% of WD40 is "petroleum base oil" - which also describes Kerosene - as it is petroleum sourced - and a light oil. A further 12-18% is "low vapour poressure aliphatic hydrocarbon" - which again is basically "Heavy Kerosene"

So chemically. roughly 80% of WD40 can accurately be described as "basically Kerosene"

Slice it any way you want to.

Reply to
clare

Doug, i've always trusted and looked forward to your responses on electrical questions. And will continue to do so. But on this topic, you're off base. Sorry.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Doug is 100% correct, and has told you where to find the incontrovertible truth on the matter.

There is NO kerosene in WD-40. None, nada, zilch.

Reply to
snotty

No, Steve, I'm not. You don't know what's in WD-40. Go read the MSDS and find out. Tell us what's there.

Hint: it's not kerosene.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:i1vq6h$5fg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

"aliphatic hydrocarbon";CAS 64742-47-8: ~50% of WD-40. Kerosene is about 80% aliphatic hydrocarbons. I think "deodorized kerosene" is parafin-removed kerosene.

I Googled "CAS 64742-47-8",and it comes up "deodorized KEROSENE".

In conclusion,WD-40 is about 50% KEROSENE,according to it's own MSDS.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Aliphatic hydrocarbons" is an enormous class of compounds. Just because two things contain aliphatic hydrocarbons does not in any way imply that they are even remotely similar, let alone identical.

Right, and, as should be obvious to anyone who passed third-grade math, that also means it's about 50% *not* kerosene -- which obviously means that it's NOT the same thing as kerosene.

Suppose I offer you a drink. It's half beer and half shit. Will you believe me if I tell you it's beer? After all, it *is* 50% beer, right?

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:i20ej1$fk8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

actually,it does,if you bother to check.

Yes,so I checked further. and found KEROSENE,which YOU claimed was NOT in WD-40.

not "exactly",but as the OP said,"basically".

Ah,you won't admit you were wrong. So you weasel. YOU said; "No, Steve, I'm not. You don't know what's in WD-40. Go read the MSDS and find out. Tell us what's there. Hint: it's not kerosene."

Except the MSDS -DOES- say it has 50% kerosene in it. There IS kerosene in there. that proves your statement wrong.

and your analogy is lacking. WD-40 is half kerosene,and half other petroleum oils. IOW,"basically kerosene". A better analogy would be half beer and half ale,but it's still "beer". Or that denatured alcohol is STILL "alcohol",despite it having other things in there.

Man up,Doug.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snotty

Actually, it does *not*, if you bother to check *and* read *and* understand what it says.

Wrong. I said WD-40 and kerosene are not the same thing.

They're not. The MSDS shows that clearly.

Half kerosene and half not-kerosene is not "basically kerosene".

Right: WD-40 *is not* kerosene.

No, I said WD-40 is not kerosene. Just like a glass that's half beer and half shit isn't beer.

By the same "reasoning", a glass of half beer and half shit is "basically beer".

Remind me never to go drinking with you.

Reply to
Doug Miller

WD-40 is not even "half kerosene"

"Kerosene" is a label that can be applied to a wide variety of petroleum distillates, none of which are in the formula for WD-40. Like "stainless steel" or "aluminum", it is a very generic term. In fact, like "Kleenex" and "Asperin" it was originally a trade name for a particular product. The petroleum distillate found in WD-40 is not kerosene, but it is related... So is crude oil. Is WD-40 50% crude oil? If you take lemonade and remove the lemons, is it still lemonade?

Reply to
salty

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:i21f0j$4ob$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

No,YOU are being DISHONEST; your words;"tell us what's there.Hint:its not kerosene". You words are right here in this post,for everyone to read. No weaseling can get you out of that.

Yeah,it is.

again,wrong; what's there IS kerosene,along with some other stuff.

I would not drink with anyone so dishonest. You even edited out part of my post about your analogy being poor.

here it is again; "Except the MSDS -DOES- say it has 50% kerosene in it. There IS kerosene in there. that proves your statement wrong.

and your analogy is lacking. WD-40 is half kerosene,and half other petroleum oils. IOW,"basically kerosene". A better analogy would be half beer and half ale,but it's still "beer". Or that denatured alcohol is STILL "alcohol",despite it having other things in there."

any credibility you had is gone.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Right. WD-40 is not kerosene.

Yes, they are. "It's not kerosene." WD-40 is not kerosene.

Learn to read, Jimmy.

So half beer and half shit is "basically beer" by your reasoning.

Other stuff that's NOT KEROSENE. Is a glass of beer that's half other stuff THAT'S NOT BEER still beer?

That's because your analogies are completely faulty. Since you insist on embarrassing yourself by repeating them, I'll show you what's wrong.

I said WD-40 is not kerosene; the MSDS shows that 50% of it is not kerosene; that proved my statement RIGHT.

Wrong. Beer and ale are similar substances. The other 50% of WD-40 isn't even remotely similar to kerosene. You're displaying your ignorance.

Bad comparison. You're displaying your ignorance again. Denatured alcohol is more than 90% alcohol.

WD-40 is half stuff that's chemically similar to kerosene, and half stuff that's not even remotely close to kerosene.

Reply to
Doug Miller

However, the fact that there is no kerosene in WD-40 means that there is no kerosene in WD-40, so it works out pretty much the same, regardless. :-)

Reply to
snotty