Unlocking an interior doo

Neil:

N > I just moved into a new place, and the wind blew the bedroom door

Welcome to the group, though we weren't expecting you so soon!

N > closed while the doorknob's lock was in the locked position! This is N > a twist type lock where you turn it from the inside to lock it. The N > other side has a keyhole, but I can't for the life of me find the KEY! N > I don't know if the previous owners left it. I did notice a small N > (maybe 1/8") hole on the side of the doorknob. Is there any way this N > can be used to open the door? Is there any other way to open the door N > without calling a locksmith?!?!

Which side are the hinges on? If on the accessible side remove the pin (from the top) from each hinge and pull the door off. (Please don't tell me you left the toolbox in the bedroom!!)

Not sure what the 1/8th" hole on the side of the door knob is. On the face, in the center frequently allows for a small tool (essentially a skinny flat-blade screwdriver) to be inserted and twisted to disengane the lock. The hole on the side may allow removal of the knob so you can get to the latch mechanism.

  • Care to join the Spanish optometrists club? Si.
Reply to
barry martin

Most times you just poke a coathanger or wire and it will open the door. A few old ones you have to turn a flat tool, but if it is a pushbutton lock, just stick it with a wire.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep, i have this kind of door lock on my bedroom door. The key is basically a piece of rigid wire, like a coathanger. Simply push the piece of wire in there firmly, till it unlocks.

HTH, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte