Uneven step on stair landing - perhaps done on purpose?

Sounds a bit like it was a dimensional allowance for some sort of special flooring on the landing that never got installed...

Reply to
Evan

I tried another one that was in PDF but got totally lost. Dial-up doesn't help.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

YOu obviously can navigate through that morass far better than I :).

A carpenter who knows his stuff can lay out a flight of stairs no matter how odd the height and each riser will be identical. I forget how many times I re-did the one flight I built and still cut the stringers with one extra tread.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Or in a log house. Every door, window and stair has to allwo for shrinkage as the logs dry. My BIl in Canada built one and had a "tripper" as the last riser on the top. No matter how many times I went up it was always a "stutter" as it used it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I doubt it. There's also a lower landing 2 steps off of the living room floor. The hardwood flooring on both landings matches the living room floor and all the treads are stained the same color. I doubt the upper landing alone was planned to be a different material.

Besides, if a "special flooring" was installed to make the last step *onto* the landing match the others, then that would have resulted in a short riser for the first step *off* of the landing as you continue up to the hallway. In other words, the problem would simply have been moved up one step.

Reply to
DerbyDad03