Under Sink Electric Tankless Water Heater

I'm temporarily in a rental that is a large one-story house with an ancient gas fired water heater. The pilot light is very large and it alone uses about $8/month. In addition the heater is about 30' from the main bathroom.

A plumber came by one day and I asked him whether an electronic ignition could be fitted to the heater to eliminate the pilot light. He said no.

I am now considering installing a tankless electric heater in the bathroom under the sink.

Experiences appreciated.

Reply to
RF

Is that just for the sink or is it for the entire bathroom?

That $8 pilot light only adds cost in the summer when you don't want heat. The rest of the year, it is just another heat source for the house that you'd pay for anyway.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

a tankless in the bathroom will only provide a little hot water quickly, and since electric nearly always costs more than gas it wouldnt save you any money.

Reply to
hallerb

The pilot doesnt use 8$ , keeping water warm and using it could cost

8, but since you live there and use that HW how could you even try to calculate the pilot at 8, you wont save with elec,
Reply to
ransley

Entire bathroom and another one on the other side of a wall

The heater is in an uninsulated very large double garage.

Reply to
RF

Electricity is used ONLY when the water is running. Even if it costs more than gas per thermal unit , it should still cost less overall. At present there are losses from the existing tank in an uninsulated garage 24 hours/day and 30' of copper piping (with R-6 insulation) when the water is running.

Reply to
RF

Please read the other two responses above.

Reply to
RF

I doubt that very much. How did you arrive at that figure?

Reply to
Doug Miller

For a unit that can handle two bathrooms you are going to need somewhere between 100 and 200 amps of power at 230 volts dedicated to the water heater. This may be more than your electric service to the entire house. Did you ask the plumber for specifications (GPM needed, rate of rise, etc.) for a unit? Unless you plan on staying there several years you may not realize a total payback with the installation cost.

Reply to
John Grabowski

That may or may not be entirely true. In our area electric rates are about

17¢, about twice the cost of gas for the same energy. After considering the cost to buy, install, and get enough power to the unit, that gas becomes very reasonably priced here. Just take everything into consideration, including the cost of getting power to that electric heater.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Sun 08 Jun 2008 10:42:51a, RF told us...

If you are "temporarily in a rental" why would you even consider installing an expensive appliance on a property that doesn't even belong to you and where you won't be staying long enough to justify the cost? I can't imagine by doing this that you would be saving any money in the long run.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I had planned to locate it under a sink and hook a branch of the cold water line into it. It would be temporary and only one bath applicance at a time would be used. I would take it away with me when I moved. I am still considering all the angles and I do appreciate all the inputs I am getting here.

Reply to
RF

I read the meter before I went away and again when I returned. I subtracted the figures and arrived at the cu.ft. used. Multiplied by the cost per unit and bingo!, there was my figure.

It might even have already been used at the time of the installation.

Have you ever heard of the Day and Night Mfg Co? They operated in the LA area from about the 1920s on and in the

1930s they were making solar water heaters. The manager decided to try to do some business with a local military barracks. He sent some drawings and other details to the commander and some time later he had a response. In the commander's opinion getting heat from the sun was like getting gold from goldfish.
Reply to
RF

My intention was to have one small heater and use only one appliance at a time. I would just install it myself. I have been a DIYer since I was able to lift a screwdriver ;-)

At present I am beginning to design an eco-house

- almost all energy from solar and I doubt I'll be here much longer than a year. When I moved in I discovered a 20' long x 15" diameter heating duct in the attic that was totally bare. Of course, I wrapped it - my contribution to the environment.

More ideas rattling around: Another possibility I am looking at is a solar water heater. Both bathrooms are at the south side of the house. The unit would be outside and only 3 holes need be made in the wall. Of course, I would take the heater with me or sell it to the owner.

Thanks to all for the contributions.

Reply to
RF

I didn't realize that the difference between the gas and electric was that big. Where are you located? I am in CA.

Reply to
RF

On Sun 08 Jun 2008 03:08:21p, RF told us...

Oh, well, if you'd be taking it with you, that's another story.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright