Ultrafast wi-fi on horizon as scientists send data at 100 times current speeds

Ultrafast wi-fi on horizon as scientists send data at 100 times current speeds

Ultrafast wi-fi, which is 100 times quicker than today's mobile networks is on the horizon, after scientists proved they could send complex data using high-frequency radiation. The researchers sent video signals using terahertz, rather than traditional microwaves, at speeds of 50 gigabytes per second. Most wireless networks only operate at top speeds of 500 megabytes a second.

The breakthrough could lead to high-speed streaming on the go.

"We showed that we can transmit separate data streams on terahertz waves at very high speeds and with very low error rates," said Daniel Mittleman, a professor in Brown University's School of Engineering, in Providence, US.

"This is the first time anybody has characterized a terahertz multiplexing system using actual data, and our results show that our approach could be viable in future terahertz wireless networks."

Current voice and data networks use microwaves to carry signals wirelessly, but demand is outstripping capacity so scientists have been looking at new bandwidths.

Terahertz waves have higher frequencies than microwaves and therefore a much larger capacity to carry data. The researchers encoded two high-definition television broadcasts onto terahertz waves of two different frequencies then beamed both frequencies together.

Experiments showed that transmissions were error-free up to 10 gigabits per second, which is much faster than today's standard Wi-Fi speeds.

Error rates increased slightly when the speed was boosted to 50 gigabits per second but were still well within the range that can be fixed using error correction systems which are commonly used in today's communications networks.

The research was published in Nature Communications.

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

The fact is though that as frequency increases the distance waves can travel decreases.

Terahertz radiation is limited to traveling in the low tens of metres so it's useless for outdoor systems.

This is a problem with some of the present proposals for 5G and why lower frequency bands are commonly used to get distance. For instance the 700 MHz band is popular for mobile data in country areas.

That article is obviously wrong using bytes where they should be quoting bits.

The other problem will be penetration I suspect. 5 GHz WiFi doesn't penetrate solid objects as well as 2.4 GHz WiFi so that will I suspect limit Terahertz WiFi to indoors line of sight use. Not very practical.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Reply to
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

You have ZERO credibility and are never to believed.

Way too many "i suspect" typical of a weasel trying to be a word smith.

"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

Diagnosis: Envy Prognosis: Terminal

I know, you find this stuff indistinguishable from magic.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Reply to
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

it is clear why you do not post to the UK groups.

They beat you down like a red headed step child.

LOL

"p-0''0-h the cat (coder)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
BurfordTJustice

I'm at a loss to come up with any reasonably logical thought process that could have lead to that conclusion. Therefore, I can only surmise that professing such a belief in some way mitigates your feelings of low self esteem.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

Reply to
p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

That was nasty. Now it's even more confused. +1 []'s

Reply to
Shadow