Typical cost of a patio door

Small size 28" for the entrance of my bedroom/balcony door. Any idea of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

Reply to
Frank

Price range for what? The door or the door and installation?

What kind of patio door? Wood? Vinyl? Low-E? Etc?

What is the existing RO made from? Wood? Brick? Steel?

Where do you live?

What style is your house?

Price range: Ridiculously cheap to holy crap expensive.

Yes...errr...wait...I mean...No...umm...hold on...OK, let's go with "Maybe".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Does one of you live in Brooklyn?

Reply to
micky

Need a little more information. When someone says "patio door" they usually usually mean a slider or French door. At 28" it sounds like you want an entrance door. You can spend from about $200 to $2,000 depending on what you want. I'd stop at the local home store and see what they have and if it what you are looking for.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Any one's guess. We don't know what your door looks like or is made of. No HD, Lowes, or building supply store in your neighborhood? Too busy or lazy to visit them? Then check their web site.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I did check those places if u read my post i did say it was a unusual size..which they do not carry. Its wood with glass panels half facing the exterior and the other interior.

Reply to
Frank

At least my neighborhood HD, custom order is OK. I needed a double pane glass inserts(almost whole length and with was shattered by little stone flying off the lawn mower) I took exact measurement, HD custom ordered it, delivered to me in ~2weeks) We have a windows/doors manufacturing plant too. They cater individual consumer's need. Their service is second to none. ~50 YO family owned company. This particular HD store is voted No. 1 customer service in the whole country year after years.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

28" is not all that uncommon by older standards. You should be able to special rder in from many places.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Does HD mean hardware or Home Depot. Usually Home Depot but you say it's family-owned.

Reply to
micky

Sorry for the confusion. HD and the Windows/doors manufacturing co. owned by a private family two separate outfits.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

of the price range? Also, would it be cheaper to replace it with a pre-hung door?

l size..which they do not carry. Its wood with glass panels half facing the exterior and the other interior.

I bought all my doors and windows from a local Norandex-Reynolds outlet. I know a retired salesman from the store and he put in a good word for me. I get an entry-level contractor's discount. Not huge, but enough, and I deal directly with a specific salesman, not just whoever happens to be working t hat day.

Based on my research, the discount is worth about one upgrade level. For ex ample, one of the entry doors I bought matched the specs for the first leve l of a Home Depot "special order" door but I paid a little less than their best in-stock door price.

The windows were a slightly better deal and I deal directly with the manufa cturer if there is an issue. I had one window fog up and all it took was on e phone to their Customer Service department. One week later I had a custom sized window showed up at my door.

I love finding small, niche retailers. It's just more fun.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Actually, you said it was 28", but you didn't tell us the height, and you didn't say it was an "unusual size". Many replacement doors are custom made when ordered, so "unusual" may not matter anyway.

For example, the Pella chart at this link shows a minimum width of 24" for a single panel hinged patio door.

You might want to give them a call with your exact rough opening measurements for a estimate of cost. They can do a better job of gathering the details they need than we can.

Reply to
DerbyDad03