type of paint for sheet rock in bachrooms

We had the sheet rock in bathrooms repainted. The painter said that he used a flat Glidden paint "for bathrooms". I googled for this but didn't find it. This website:

says to use a semi-gloss for bathrooms, not a flat paint. Is there such a paint as he says (Glidden, flat, for bathrooms) or did he use the wrong kind?

Reply to
Jan Philips

Washable flat paint has been around for a while.

I dunno what you googled for. When I googled "Glidden washable flat paint" (without quotes) I got plenty of hits.

Smitty Two

I googled for "Glidden flat bathroom paint" (no qotes). The webpage in the first message doesn't mention it.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Do they still make the "super washable", because I don't see it at their "all products" page

do I find it at their search.

Reply to
Jan Philips

You can use the same paint for bachrooms as you would for beethovenrooms, bernsteinrooms and brahmsrooms. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It is pretty traditional to use semi for baths and kitchens. I use only alkyd semi for durability and ease of cleaning.

Reply to
Norminn

Jan,

The guy favors using Glidden flat paint when he paints bathrooms. That does not mean that he uses a special bathroom flat paint. Do you know what paint he used? I think you misunderstood your painter. Are you having problems with the paint job?

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

That is what I thought, which is why I was surprized when it was flat.

Reply to
Jan Philips

No, I will try to find out.

He is not a professional painter - he was doing maintenance there. The job was done Friday. He told me that he was using paint designed for bathrooms, but when I saw it Friday it was flat. I knew that usually eggshell or semi-gloss was used for bathrooms, so I was surprised when it was flat. Last night I looked up Glidden paints on their website and they recomend their semi-gloss for bathrooms and high-moisture areas.

Reply to
Jan Philips

any place that could need wiping down somewhat regularly, should be semi-gloss. Personally, we use Semi-gloss on everything.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Some manufacturers (BM, for one) have a "matte" finish that's supposed to be washable. It's really somewhere between eggshell and flat but has a harder surface, like eggshell. It's not cheap, though.

Reply to
krw

One of life's better lessons, learned before adding on an addition the wrong way :o) Always, always do some research to learn about what you want to hire a contractor for; makes for less fooling around getting estimates and helps clear the fog as to what you REALLY want and expect and get it spelled out in the bid. My other rule for contractors is to find one who has done work for someone you know so you can see and learn how the process went. I think references from strangers are a dime a dozen.

Reply to
Norminn

I've used this guy for years, but not for painting.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Flat in moist areas (baths, kitchens, exteriors) might let a little more dust and moisture cling to the surface. One flat paint is washed a time or two, it often loses some of the matte so's it is a trace more glossy and smooth. Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know why he chose flat; my money is on leftovers from another job :o)

Reply to
Norminn

My thoughts also.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I don't know.

Reply to
Smitty Two

While it's not unusual to find semigloss in bathrooms or kitchens, I would not go so far as to say it's traditional. I have not had it in any of mine. Nor do I see it much in other peoples homes. I use an eggshell type which is between a semi and flat. Or I'd use the washable flat, unless you have so much crap flying around in the kitchen that you have to clean the walls regularly. In which case maybe it's time to figure out why.

Semi is just too shiny and it also shows defects on the surfaces that would not be seen with a flat paint.

Reply to
trader4