Two misc things, humming and youtube

Miscellaneous

1) Youtube. Listened tonight to an early august episode of The Big Broadcast, 40s, 50's, and a little 60's radio, at wamu.org or its website, and one was a lost episode, the Ride Back, which the host explained William Conrad, who was in the radio version in 1942, liked so much he produced a movie of it in 1947. (He wasn't fat then, although his face was roundish.) So the whole thing is on Youtube for free, and I'm watching it on the laptop. The laptop is not loud enough, even with USB speakers, so I decide to use the desktop. I note how far I've gone, 8:38, so I can start at the same place, but by golly it starts there without my doing anything. The is good and bad. Good because it's convenient, bad because Col. Youtube is spying on me. Oh well.

2) Humming when I start my laptop. For a second or two, pause for a bit, then again, up to several times. I asked about this in the spring and the popular answer was a weak cmos battery, but I finally figured it out. It's the DVD drive trying to start. Don't know yet if the whole drive is bad -- I wanted to post now before I forgot. I try to push the button to open the drawer and so far it doesn't open, but I often have trouble finding the right spot. I have a spare drive and I'm sure they're not expensive.

Reply to
micky

You're quite-the-Micky ..

On many older laptops the CD/DVD drive is easily removeable - - a little slide-button releases a spring loaded pull tab which pulls out the drive .. My older very trusty T500 laptop has a quirky habit of opening the CD/DVD tray at random times. Dunno. My brand new 6-year-old T570 doesn't have a CD/DVD at all ! Whatever shall I do ! ? How shall I burn my Peter-Paul-and-Mary boot-leg compilations ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

There is no problem removing it. I've removed it when I changed to solid state ram.

What can be hard to do is to open it, in order to insert a disc. I have to find the button without seeing it and I think I have to push the button more than once,

I don't have that.

Interesting

A lot of them are like that now. Not sure it's a good idea, but it's why I bought my desktop recoditioned from Amazon, because they had a ready supply of pc's with DVDs. The laptop a friend gave me. He was no longer using it at work. Again, I'd like a new one but I want a disk drive.

You coudl probably put them on a flashdrive.

Reply to
micky

Did you copy a URL complete with time mark in the URL ? Or just the base Youtube URL to the vid ? Some people post Youtube URLs with the time mark still in it, and the video jumps to the "interesting bit".

*******

Desktop DVD drives cost around $20. I don't know what a laptop drive costs, after the COVID incident. I don't know if there is stock of laptop DVD drives. The problem would have been easier to solve, three years ago.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Youtube has been knocked for some of its content, however there is a wealth of GOOD video. We enjoy the wide variety music found in the videos. The history, and we have found it fun to watch the travel videos of places we have been.

Reply to
knuttle

Probably because it's forgotten the words?

Reply to
Andy Burns

USB DVD drive.

Reply to
Big Al

I implied that when I mentioned the music video.

Reply to
knuttle

CD/DVD/BR drives are pretty much obsolete now. I still have an old internal CD/DVD drive around here somewhere that I could connect with an adapter cable, but I haven't needed it in years and probably never will. Anyway, that's why new systems typically no longer have them. They also don't have floppy drives for the same reason.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I've used mine in the last year, both on the laptop and the desktop

Reply to
micky

No, I didn't copy anything. I went to the other computer, searched in youtube for The Ride Back, started it, and it started at 8:38, the same place the first computer was paused at. A random place.

I didn't have a url to work with, only the name of the movie, The Ride BAck.

The first computer is a laptop connected by wifi to the router, the second is a deaktop connected to the same router by a cable.

I would watch more movies if it automatically started where I left off, so maybe this will be an advantage, if I can know when it will work.

Reply to
micky

Get an external CD/DVD or get a clue and keep them on a hard drive.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Is it safe to assume that you are logged into your Google account on both devices? Google owns YouTube and if you are logged in under the same account on multiple devices, lots of things will follow you around.

Chrome history, bookmarks, YouTube, etc.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Not intentionally. But I do see my initial in the upper right corner, and my name if I click on it.

Scary. But very convenient.

The only reason before to be logged into Youtbue was to comment on videos, and I do do that sometimes. Convenient, but scary.

If it's going to spy on me, I wish it would keep track where I was in each movie even if I restarted windows, or if I closed that particular tab, but I think it won't.

Reply to
micky