Tub surround Only, No walls

I want to install a tub surround. The tub itself is a mess but the walls around it are fine. Can I just put a surround over the tub and leave the walls as they are?

Reply to
ewingil

ewingil

One would normally cover both to give it that updated look. Since you're working there and spending money, doing both isn't too much more of either. But no, I don't believe you have to do both, but you do need to make sure you have a good seal between the wall and the tub.

So although it would not be required, it is probably a good idea to do the walls, too.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Pat

Yes. The tub insert is entirely separate from the wall covering.

Do you plan to do this yourself?

I didnt think to ask Bath Fitters if they would sell me the tub without installation. (Largely because my tub is already too short, and I don't want it any shorter. Even a half inch would be noticeable I think, if they could make one that only used a quarter inch at each end.)

I have a two-part epoxee I'm going to try to use to repair the damage. If it looks worse, I can replace it then as easily as I can now. This time I'm going to practice using the paint, wait to see how it dries, and mix a second batch to actually do the tub.

I guess it would depend on how complicated a proper installation is and how much they want the deal. Obviously, it's not rocket surgery, but otoh, if there are some steps that have to be done just so, or many steps, and they don't have instructions, they may not want to bother writing them for you. OT3H, the only obscure thing that I can think of is if and what they put between the new tub and the old tub.

Reply to
mm

Reply to
ewingil