Trumpet valve oil household substitute (will 3-in-1 household oil work)?

replying to Johnson, Reuben wrote: Can you use CarMax
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, but you forgot to mention the fact yer a moron.

Hopefully, the music teacher will not confiscate yer kid's horn cuz his dad trashed it and kick him outta the band cuz his dad's a moron.
nb
--
vi --the root of evil

Add pictures here
✖
Probably cause busses pollute the air, but each parent delivering kids in the SUV does not.
I'm curious to hear what the teacher uses. My guess is to gently pull the valves out, clean them in hot water and detergent. The next morning, the teacher will use 2 drops per piston of trumpet oil, and reassemble. What do I get if I win?
On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 21:05:56 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

To give an update on Monday morning, after dropping the kid off at school on my way to work (they haven't invented buses yet in California), I ended up running an unexpected experiment using your advice.
First, I went to the store to get the glycerin. It was immediately clear on the first (of three) valves that it was just too thick and gooey. It worked (the valve is now free) but my kid said it rises too slowly to play properly.
For the middle valve, I put the all-in-one oil. It penetrated well enough to free the valve without a big tussle, but, it too was way too thick in the end for the valve rises slowly.
On the first valve, I simply took your suggestions to heart, and used the gree dish detergent. It worked to free up the valve (with warm water) but it wouldn't rise without force.
So, I brought it in to the school with a note to the music teacher describing what I've done and where we were. I guess I'll find out when the wife picks up the kids this afternoon (did I say California hasn't invented the yellow school bus yet?)
Hopefully the teacher's note back won't be too scathingly hot! :)
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 9, 10:04 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Maybe not, you left out cleaning the valve cylinders. Usually best accomplish in a sink full of soapy water. There is a good change the teacher doesn't have the facilities to clean it properly.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
Ah, yes, also clean inside the little tubes where the plungers go. True, the school might not provide the music room with a sink and hot water, and the teacher might not want to go find a sink.
Maybe not, you left out cleaning the valve cylinders. Usually best accomplish in a sink full of soapy water. There is a good change the teacher doesn't have the facilities to clean it properly.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
I never even thought of wax. Makes sense.
Don't put oil on a chain. Use wax, there is a special wax from the bike stores that is much better. Airgun shooters put it on their pellets.
Add pictures here
✖

You went to the store to get glycerin, but you couldn't pick up some sewing machine oil while you were there???
I know you said the music store was closed, but what about the one in the next town over? There's a music store in every little bum-f town in America.
You know, if your kid actually PRACTICED and maintained the damn thing like he is supposed to, the valves wouldn't have seized up.
Add pictures here
✖

Don't have anything to add, but I played French Horn as a kid in the 50's. I still have half a bottle of valve oil sitting on the shelf. (I hate to throw stuff out.) For those who don't know about this stuff, it's amazingly thin; I think it makes water look viscous.
Art
Add pictures here
✖
sam bruno wrote:

Use anything that's handy (nose lube, chicken fat, axle grease, etc.). When you can get the right stuff, clean out the replacement. Trumpet players know how to clean their instrument.
Add pictures here
✖

Trumpet oil smelled like a silicone oil to me, very thin. In a pinch I would use crc 2-36, or lesser wd-40
The trouble is, I don't know what's going to happen with moisture.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖
replying to sam bruno, Colton furlong wrote: What kind of essential oil
Add pictures here
✖
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 2:44:06 PM UTC-4, Colton furlong wrote:

this thread is from 1/10/12 by now the kid has graduated from high school.
its funny google is going into the self drive car business, but isnt able to have decent software here:(
Add pictures here
✖
replying to sam bruno, Victor wrote: I haven't played my trumpet for about a year and the valves don't even move what should I do
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/7/2017 10:44 PM, Victor wrote:

Take it to a pro.
Add pictures here
✖
Victor posted for all of us...

Thor hammer
--
Tekkie

Add pictures here
✖
replying to sam bruno, Lysa Baldwin wrote: Omg use baby oil I just tried it and it worked so good i start band I n Monday too
Add pictures here
✖
replying to sam bruno, Rissa wrote: If you have canola oil or any kitchen/baking oil it should work just don't use it too often in place of actual valve oil
Add pictures here
✖
replying to sam bruno, Smarty wrote: You can use baby oil works fine fine only for a short while though good luck.
Add pictures here
✖