Trumpet valve oil household substitute (will 3-in-1 household oil work)?

Trumpet oil smelled like a silicone oil to me, very thin. In a pinch I would use crc 2-36, or lesser wd-40

The trouble is, I don't know what's going to happen with moisture.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Ah, yes, also clean inside the little tubes where the plungers go. True, the school might not provide the music room with a sink and hot water, and the teacher might not want to go find a sink.

.

Maybe not, you left out cleaning the valve cylinders. Usually best accomplish in a sink full of soapy water. There is a good change the teacher doesn't have the facilities to clean it properly.

Jimmie

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You went to the store to get glycerin, but you couldn't pick up some sewing machine oil while you were there???

I know you said the music store was closed, but what about the one in the next town over? There's a music store in every little bum-f town in America.

You know, if your kid actually PRACTICED and maintained the damn thing like he is supposed to, the valves wouldn't have seized up.

Reply to
dennisgauge

replying to sam bruno, Colton furlong wrote: What kind of essential oil

Reply to
Colton furlong

this thread is from 1/10/12 by now the kid has graduated from high school.

its funny google is going into the self drive car business, but isnt able to have decent software here:(

Reply to
bob haller

replying to zxcvbob, Sydneytbee wrote: WD-40 corrodes the nickle in horns (not reccomended)

Reply to
Sydneytbee

replying to sam bruno, Victor wrote: I haven't played my trumpet for about a year and the valves don't even move what should I do

Reply to
Victor

Take it to a pro.

Reply to
Ken Olson

Victor posted for all of us...

Thor hammer

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Tony Hwang, Angelica wrote: umm.... WD-40 will destroy your horn.. i wouldnt use that if i where you

Reply to
Angelica

replying to clare, Johnson wrote: yea you are right. I used the soap diluted in a ton of water and it worked just as good as valve oil. Have 4th of July Parade today, hopefully it works for a while

Reply to
Johnson

replying to Tony Hwang, Adam Barrow wrote: WD 40 will actually corrode the metal in the instrument.

Reply to
Adam Barrow

But it will keep the water out of the valves.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

replying to Tony Hwang, Lysa Baldwin wrote: Don't use wd-40 that messes them up in a trumpet player

Reply to
Lysa Baldwin

replying to sam bruno, Lysa Baldwin wrote: Omg use baby oil I just tried it and it worked so good i start band I n Monday too

Reply to
Lysa Baldwin

replying to sam bruno, Rissa wrote: If you have canola oil or any kitchen/baking oil it should work just don't use it too often in place of actual valve oil

Reply to
Rissa

replying to Johnson, Reuben wrote: Can you use CarMax

Reply to
Reuben

replying to sam bruno, Smarty wrote: You can use baby oil works fine fine only for a short while though good luck.

Reply to
Smarty

replying to sam bruno, Marv80205 wrote: Charcoal lighter fluid works great. Seriously. I use it for my trumpet. Charcoal lighter fluid is a high grade kerosene and so is the valve oil you purchase at the music store. It even smells the same. Plus, it's a whole lot cheaper per ounce than what you get in those little bottles at the music store. Just fill your old valve oil bottle with charcoal lighter fluid and you'll see what I mean.

Reply to
Marv80205

Hmmm. You might want to update the wiki entry. They seems to think that trumpet oil is made from mineral oil; not kerosene.

Hmmm. Maybe you should update the 'Charcoal_lighter_fluid' entry as well. They believe it is mineral spirits or alcohol; not kerosene.

Mike_Duffy