3-in-1 oil now in a plastic container

My 200ml tin of 3-in-1 that I must have bought about 20 years ago has finally emptied.

It still has the label of the local 6-shop hardware store showing a price of 2 Pounds 29p, but it also has the wd40 url in very small print, so I must have bought it after 1995, when wd-40 acquired 3-in-1.

I went into Robert Dyas to get a new one and it is now in a nasty plastic container and costs nearly seven pounds !, so I wandered along to the Poundshop and bought a 100ml aerosol of 3-in-1 for One pound 50p.

Since 3-in-1 is an oil I wonder how the propellant affects it ?, but at least is in a metal can, unlike the non-aerosol version.

I suspect the plastic container would turn brittle long before I used all the oil anyway.

The containers are now also boldly marked with WD-40, who bought the company in 1995 (but that fact had escaped me).

I see that singer sewing machine oil is still on sale. I wonder if it is a better product for general lightweight oiling ?.

Andrew

just refill the 3in1 can. Baby oil is fine as long as it's mineral oil, not freshly squeezed babies. The 3in1 name came from the original formula of a mix of animal, vegetable and mineral oils. I assume & hope these days it's all mineral.

Reply to
Animal

Never knew that.

They're be missing a trick if they don't put "NEW! vegan friendly formula" on the tin ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Twenty questions first question was 'Animal,Vegetable or Mineral' and you answer 'Yes'....that would confuse, ha ha.

Reply to
jon

Not sure that's correct:

"Its name, given by inventor George W. Cole of New Jersey in 1894,[1] reflects the product's triple ability to "clean, lubricate and protect"."

and

"The formula consists of pale spindle oil with a small amount of corrosion inhibitor and citronella oil."

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

'Mineral' oil is formed from animals (zooplankton etc.) and plants, so all these vegans that hve anything at all that needs oil...

Reply to
PeterC

Get a syringe with a needle that fits down the spout of the old can. Fill syringe with new oil, insert needle into spout of old can and discharge contents. Repeat until all the new oil is transferred.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Or, use a syringe to suck out the 20ml of oil that stays in each tin can when it seems to be empty - and then use the syringe for oiling!

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

Quite. There is an obvious sloshing sound but the top of the tin has become concave preventing the remaining oil to be squirted.

Who sells syringes and needles ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Your local chemist for a substantial fee or amazon

Chris B

Ebay

Not medical but needles/syringes for filling ink cartridges. The needles will have larger bores suitable for ink/oil (or use them without a needle)

Reply to
alan_m

Somewhere I have an ad from the 1930s that states clearly that it's a mix of animal, veg & mineral oils. Of course it's likely been other formulae at other times. Citronella is a vegetable oil. spindle oil is mineral. What the corrosion inhibitor is who knows. Modern 3in1 doesn't smell of citronella tho.

Reply to
Animal

Tried to get (mineral lube) oil through maximum size medical needle years ago, no chance.

Reply to
Animal

That's exactly what I use. Haven't had an inkjet for 10 years, but the syringes are handy for all sorts of applications.

PA

Reply to
Peter Able

I've had my plastic container over 10 years and not gone brittle yet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I wonder what water displacement 39 was like? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some Vegan would complain that it stained their clothes after rubbing some on their aching joints.

An additional muse, how do Just Stop Oil protesters stop their bicycles from squeaking.

GH

Reply to
Marland

Years ago, spinning wheels were lubricated with lard...

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've lost a large can of solvent based wood preserver because the tin rusted through. And you can't buy it any more :(

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Mine even longer, still absolutely fine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq