Total newbie...how to fix a garbage disposal....

Believe it or not, I can't even figure out how to get that black rubber splash guard thing out so I can at least look in there to see if I can see what's wrong.

HELP

John

Reply to
RocketMan

Much of the time, you don't need to remove the splash guard. What is not working correctly? Is it totally dead? Strange noises? Not draining?

If the brand name is Insinkerator, there are no sharp blades inside. Rather, they've got what are called "hammers". It's safe to reach in. If you think someone might come along and flip the switch, then shut off the circuit breaker.

Look around on this link:

It lists a tutorial for installation, which should tell you how to do the opposite, if you still want to get the rubber thing off. And, there should be PDF-format owners manuals available, too.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There is a hex socket for a large hex ranch right in the bottom center of the disposal. Insert the hex wrench that fits and turn and you will have 'fixed' the problem.

Reply to
deke

Well, if we're into guessing games, I'll play too.

Before resorting to complex tools like hex wrenches, look for a reset button on the side or base of the unit. Press it. Try running the disposal...

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

No no,

I am certain that something 'bad' fell in and I want to get it out. I didn't think it'd be THAT hard to remove the rubber thing but its resisting all my attempts.

I'll check the link to see if there is a technique to it.

Reply to
RocketMan

Pay attention! You do NOT need to remove the rubber thing to remove foreign objects. Just reach in. If your hand's too big, removing the rubber thing won't help much.

Reach in. You'll feel a flat bottom surface, which spins, and you should be able to spin it easily with your fingers. Near the outer edge of the spinning surface, you'll feel two or three blocks of metal, not exactly rectangular in shape. Those are the "hammers". Each hammer should be able to pivot a bit around the fastener that holds them onto the flat surface. Those "blocks" sometimes don't pivot because of sludge or a bit of corrosion, but that won't stop the entire round surface from spinning, UNLESS a small foreign object is wedged between a block and the wall of a disposal.

Besides hard objects like bones or silverware, fibrous foods can end up being spun into rope and freeze the disposal solid. Kale stems are a great example. A clump of this stuff will feel pretty obvious when you reach in. If you can't pull it all out by hand, then there's a good reason to uninstall the disposal so it's easier to reach inside, perhaps with a small pair of pliers.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Please, give us some hints:

Does it spin at all?

Does it hum or not when you flip the switch?

Does it spin, and the contents not empty?

What kind of a disposal is it?

These things will help narrow it down tremendously.

By the way, the black rubber splash guard thing doesn't come out. Take a flashlight and fold back the fingers of the black rubber splash guard thing and look in there to see if there's anything obvious like tennis balls or lug nuts that may be your problem.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Oh, good, then. You don't need us.

Another crisis solved.

I'm done.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Maybe I should suggest he borrows a large size speculum from an ob/gy's office. He could use that with a flashlight to "look into things".

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If you really want to remove the rubber splash guard you have to unhook the whole unit from under the sink. Once you have the unit down the rubber guard pops right off.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Borrow? Doesn't everybody have one? They sell 'em at Harbor Freight.

Reply to
HeyBub

Before you try and disassemble it, post what is wrong.

tom @

Just Joshin

He's posting from google, a small step up the evolutionary ladder from web tv. He'll never be back.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

ROTFLOL. So true.

Reply to
mm

Tisk, Tisk, the problem could be as easy as pressing the overload reset.

:(

Reply to
Just Joshin